Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

Saab(s)
    2007 9-3 SportCombi Aero

Unexpected problems with rear foglight bulb replacement

Hi all,

I recently got a 2007 9-3 SportCombi Aero in red, and it is amazing!

One of the rear fog lights is out, on the right side if you were to stand at the back of the car.
    The manual says it is an easy fix - just pop off the access panel, remove the bulb holder/socket, and pop a new bulb in.

So I tried it. But I couldn't find the bulb holder- only this weird placeholder thingy that seems to be stuck in place (see attachments)

The other side has a bulb and a bulb holder. I am unsure what to do :/

I have also included a link to the manual - see page 226 for information about the rear fog light replacements, and 227 for right (not the broken left side) side replacement instructions.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks!

Name:  Right side.jpg
Views: 1635
Size:  42.0 KBName:  Left side.jpg
Views: 1641
Size:  34.8 KB

Saab(s)
    2009 9-3 2.0T SC Aero XWD\eLSD. eSID2
    LH driven car: Fog light on left side only, factory configuration.
    RH driven car: - right side only.

I've seen owners retrofitting the other fog lamp/ light as well.

Enjoy the Aero

Saab(s)
    2007 9-3 SportCombi Aero
    Well that is unexpected! Thanks for the heads up!

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    08/280/xwd & 09/210/xwd
    The logic behind this is that your brain will react to something that "appears wrong" faster hence the asymmetry of a single light will get your attention in bad conditions.

There is no real light that cuts through fog and basically fog lights are even essentially useless having only marginal effectiveness. I look at them (the front fogs) as "get me home" lamps in case all your bulbs burn out and yes, I actually had this happen on a long late night trip from NJ to NH when one by one each filament failed. Not a thing wrong with them either, it was just their time. I have "fog" (actually legal driving lamps) on my Volvo and just can't find a good spot for them on an 08 Saab or they would be there.
    Semper ubi sububi in caput tuum

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    I thought the single rear fog light is because so they won't be confused with brake lights. If you have only one fog light, it is easier to see when the brake lights do come on.

Front fog lights can be effective but only if they are the only lights that are on. For some unknown reason, US law requires main headlamps have to be on when the fog lights are on as well. In Europe, it is the other way around and fog lights can not be on together with the main head lights. When only the fog lights are on, they can illuminate the road right in front and to the side of the car. You will be driving slow anyways. Fog often doesn't go all the way down to the ground so that's why fog lights should be mounted in the lowest position. Unfortunately, drivers in the US think they are just a pair of extra headlights and have them on all the time. And they are completely useless for that use and blind oncoming traffic. I hate them, especially big trucks with those huge fog lights. Idiots...

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    08/280/xwd & 09/210/xwd
    Thanks Wulf, it's been a long time since I read that probably in R&T since that's what I used to subscribe to. Your answer is the primary reason but the subliminal reaction was a part of the logic. It's a shame that so many guys will just have to have that symmetry and have that second bulb wired up .. at least that's what they said they were going to do. I'm afraid to add anything on a Saab electrical system perhaps with the exception of the extra rocker for accessories; not sure if anything before 2007 has this?
    Semper ubi sububi in caput tuum

Richard Klein
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    1999 SAAB 9-5
    The rear fog lamp is positioned so that when you're parked on the shoulder the light is on the side of the car closest to traffic.