Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab(s)
    2008 9-5 Aero
    Thumbs Up:   2

P1312 Error Code Issues

I first threw a P1312 Error Code about 2 months ago. I pulled the DIC and re-gapped the plugs. I cleared the code, but it came back after about 1000 miles. I pulled out the DIC again checked all the gaps again, and reset the code (plugs were replaced about 6 months ago). Again the check engine light came on in about 1000 miles. This time my engine really started to stutter. I noticed that the PCV valve was broken off. Replaced this with a new one (major PITA, requiring a helper, lots of swearing, a burnt arm, and major scrapes on my arm, as well as sore wrist from the contortion) and reset the codes. Light just came on again after about 1000 more miles. Any ideas as to what this might be? Is just getting the P1312 without a P1334 a sign that the DIC is going? Could this be some other vacuum leak? I also read where someone noticed that the springs in the DIC were at different heights. The removed them and pulled on the springs to make them the same length and put them back in and their problem went away. How exactly do you remove these springs?

Thanks,
    JFP

0 Not allowed!
    Measure with a micrometer. Mark it with chalk. Cut it with a chainsaw. Collary: Measure Twice. Cut Thrice. Keep cussing.

Saab(s)
    2009 9-3 2.0T SC Aero XWD\eLSD. eSID2
    Thumbs Up:   4
    "Any ideas as to what this might be?": It's interesting to note the 1000 miles intervals, did you by any chance remove or "touch" the DIC when working on the PVC? (never answer a question with a question ).

The description of the P1312 code is: "Combustion detection cylinder 1+2, open circuit / short to B+". As diagnostic help is following added: "Fault diagnosis concerns an electrical fault in the connecting leads.". Understood as the lead/wiring between the DIC and Trionic 7 ECU, however do I believe this could be caused by a fault in the DIC detector 1+2 circuitry as well.

In the Swedish version of the P1312 description is there a bottom note, translated: "The fault code is usually thrown due to sooty spark plugs", which applies for the P1334 code as well. Here is apparantly not soot the case, however as it points towards the plugs do I assume you have correct ones installed (?).

Could a problematic spring throw a P1312 code? Well, at least it could cause an open circuit or an intermittent contact/connection (between the secondary of the ignition coil and the plug), ref. the link: https://sites.google.com/site/pierec.../repairing-dic. However would any thrown DTCs most likely be of the P0300 series, misfire.

Whether you get access to the springs in your black DIC like the case for the red one, is for you to see. Another link pertaining to a possible spring contact problem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aDIuNSJbfs.

0 Not allowed!

Saab(s)
    2008 9-5 Aero
    Thumbs Up:   2
    The plugs I installed are the platinum NGK PFR6H10 plugs. I don't notice any abnormal soot on the plugs when I removed them. I am thinking that the spring might be an issue, and was wondering how to recondition one by stretching it out. I have never seen the P1334 code, so I assume that the trouble is on one of the first two cylinders.

Will other vacuum leaks cause this error code as well?

0 Not allowed!
    Measure with a micrometer. Mark it with chalk. Cut it with a chainsaw. Collary: Measure Twice. Cut Thrice. Keep cussing.

Saab(s)
    2009 9-3 2.0T SC Aero XWD\eLSD. eSID2
    Thumbs Up:   4
    Not very likely, being the only "fault".

0 Not allowed!