Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

Saab(s)
    none

Ignition

So does anyone actually know why the ignition is in the middle console for the Saab 9-3? It's pretty cool, yet odd

It was put there for security purposes, ie you have to put the car into reverse gear to be able to take out the ignition key.

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    08/280/xwd & 09/210/xwd
    The usual line I've heard on the forums is for safety in a crash, so the key doesn't rip into your leg. Our dealer dismissed this in 1984 when I got my first Saab and said it was to comply with the new theft regulations; it was harder to break the lock and use a screwdriver if the ignition was on the trans and it was a lot cheaper than the new designs that were on the wheel.
    Semper ubi sububi in caput tuum

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    A nice additional benefit is not having a key fob and other keys dangling from the steering column touching your knees.

Another benefit I read is you have the transmission selector/shifter, handbrake and ignition all near each other so you can be on your way quicker by not having to reach to the steering column. Yeah, that seems a bit far-fetched.

With keyless ignition these days, this is all a bit outdated but it is nice to be different.

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    08/280/xwd & 09/210/xwd
    The bad news, especially with the electronic ignitions is that when mine failed in my 08', the dealer was quick on the trigger saying I probably spilled a coffee down there which never happened. But aside from "spilled" items, general dust and dirt will collect down there over the years and coat the surfaces. It's not a rare event to find someone on the varied forums with an ignition problem.
    Semper ubi sububi in caput tuum