Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab(s)
    2006 Saab 9-5, 2004 Saab 9-5 Aero; 2002 9-3 HOT Hatch

Low MPG solutions?

My MPG's have dropped. Alot. I was at 20.1 at the end of summer, now I'm sitting on 14.5 MPG. I cleaned the MAF, put new tires on and got an alignment. I have heard that gas is reformulated in the winter months, is that true? And if it is, has anyone else noticed a drop in MPG?

The car is running great otherwise, still pulls really good for her age (2002 9-5 Linear). Turbo is fine, motor is kinda up there (175k+). What are the other things I should check/replace?
    Thanks for your time!

Saab Enthusiast CaptainMediocre's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    2007 Saab 95 2.3T Sedan
    Are you using 93 octane? What about driving style? I would expect 15mpg if you drive like a track day all the time but not if you are easy on it.
    It probably couldn't hurt to put some fuel injector cleaner into the next fill up, I do that every few thousand miles.

Saab(s)
    2005 Saab 9-5 Arc
    It could be a sign of a coil pack going bad, I've noticed that when mine was going bad that my mileage would drop by 4 mpg or so
    #SwedeSpeed

Saab(s)
    2006 Saab 9-5, 2004 Saab 9-5 Aero; 2002 9-3 HOT Hatch
    Can someone link me to the correct coil pack please?
    Also, do most shops offer an injector cleaning service?

Saab(s)
    01 95 Aero and Wagon, 09 93 Combi and an 08 95 Combi
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazamario View Post
    Can someone link me to the correct coil pack please?
    Also, do most shops offer an injector cleaning service?
    AutoZone Part Number: C1705 Enter CHARGE" in the Code and it is OEM 190.00

Saab(s)
    01 95 Aero and Wagon, 09 93 Combi and an 08 95 Combi

Patrick Hunt
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    1999 conv 2006 sportcombi
    Thanks. I am 76 and drive like I am 90 (very slowly) and I don't idle the car in the winter. The car runs perfectly and is an absolute rocket if I get on it. I checked the tail pipe with a white cloth and it is very clean. I just replaced the spark plugs and throttle body. Does the throttle body affect mixture? I am getting 8 mpg. Pat Hunt

Kenny
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2005 SAAB 9-5 Aero MT
    Quote Originally Posted by patrick w. hunt View Post
    Thanks. I am 76 and drive like I am 90 (very slowly) and I don't idle the car in the winter. The car runs perfectly and is an absolute rocket if I get on it. I checked the tail pipe with a white cloth and it is very clean. I just replaced the spark plugs and throttle body. Does the throttle body affect mixture? I am getting 8 mpg. Pat Hunt

Replace:
    Vacuum hoses

Check And Test

Fuel Pump - Test idle fuel pressure to the rail (37-42 lbs) is normal - REV it and it should spike up and come back down to normal. Use Fuel pressure tester (19.99 in Harbor Freight online)

FPR (Fuel pressure Regulator) Same test as the pressure test - but Start the car, rev it 2 times - let it idle for 1 min - Shut is off and check the Pressure Gauge in 1 hour- (If your gauge is still showing 37-42lbs after an hour the FPR can hold pressure)

NOTE** that does not mean is 100% good - mean it holds pressure - NOW under load WOT it can leak into the intake from the VAC hose.

Check Waste Gate Actuator -

Bypass Valve -

Check Catalytic Converter - see if you occasionally smell rotten eggs coming out the exhaust after driving WOT and getting the Car hot. CEL wont turn on for awhile - By that time you may haved damaged the HEAD - Valve seals and Turbo - because the CAT is back pressuring over 2-6lbs BEWARE of the SILENT Killer

EVAP system on earlier SAAB 9-5 (bad check valves)

Clean MAF - ( replacement is $99 new in Eeuropart.com) Its worth replacing - kills rough idle -

I will get back to more checks to help bring back the MPG back ....

Remember SAABs with more power and a good system mapping can achieve super great MPG -
    SAAB
    Keep Calm my friends
    and Apply BOOST