Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    J. Tucker
    Saab(s)
    2005 9-3 Arc 2008 9-3 Aero

SAAB Battery- Mexico

I recently purchased my second Saab, a 2008 9-3 Aero. Am now the happy owner of both a 2005 Arc, and this 2008 Aero.

I can't tell if the battery in the 2008 car is the original, or a replacement. There is a label on the battery that says SAAB, and further information saying that it was manufactured in Mexico. This leads me to think that it is a 'replacement' battery having been manufactured in Mexico. Does anyone out there know the country of origin of the 'original' 'as car manufactured' Saab Batteries, and does anyone know if the batteries labeled Saab, but manufactured in Mexico are 'original', or not, to the car?

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    08/280/xwd & 09/210/xwd
    Not a definitive response (sorry), but most of our 2008 batteries have seen replacement by now. Turbo heat is rough on them.
    Semper ubi sububi in caput tuum

J. Tucker
    Saab(s)
    Understand your response, thanks. However, that is exactly why I asked the question. Having no records for the car, and a suspicion that Swedish manufactured autos would not come out of the factory with batteries made in Mexico, it is my thinking that I have a replacement battery. But, the Saab label on the battery causes the question, are Saab batteries manufactured in Mexico? Just don't want to shell out $160 for a good quality new battery right now, if I don't need one for another couple of years.

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    08/280/xwd & 09/210/xwd
    There is supposed to be a date code on the battery, if not obviously numbered it was sometimes punch outs with the hole for Jan-03-08 missing. Be very vigilant, on my 08' and Wifey's 09' cars the batteries went with absolutely no ... as in "0" warning. Both were in nice weather and only at the two year mark; they showed no signs of being weak like the usual pause upon turning the key and rrrrrrrrr ka rrrrrrrrr rerrrrrr kind of turn over. Weak batteries are also said to cause any number of other funky .. er ... quirky, phenomena with varied other functions going haywire.
    Semper ubi sububi in caput tuum

J. Tucker
    Saab(s)
    Yes, a low battery can cause any number of 'funky' phenomenon. Especially in a Jaguar or a Range Rover. Been there, am doing that. Regarding my Saab battery, those little dots at the month and year marks have not been 'punched' out so to speak. I think that the caps are removable on this battery. I will put a good slow charge on it, and then check the charge by checking the specific gravity. Just thought someone on this forum would have known about the source of new, or Saab dealer replacement batteries. Thanks for your insight.

Saab(s)
    2009 9-3 2.0T SC Aero XWD\eLSD. eSID2
    According to the WIS, were the 9-3, I4 MY2008, OEM equipped with Exide 60 (580 CCA) - or 70 Ah (700 CCA) batteries, and the V6 with Varta 85 Ah (750 CCA). The capacities, and any brand, stamped on the current battery might give you an indication of whether it's a replacement or not.