Hi everyone,

Our turbo seems to be in hibernation mode - or worse - maybe it is simply the turkey's tryptophan overload after Thanksgiving Day?

Our 2003 2.3t Linear station wagon has received a new (standard low compression) turbo when we took her over at around 89.000 miles just one and a half years ago. A month later I had to replace the tooting valve with a new one, an aftermarket black one made from metal. Everything with the engine was hunky dory since then.

So, for Thanksgiving we are taking off to our destination about 200 miles away, and I notice a considerable lack of oomph. I see that the turbo boost gauge needle never makes it out of the white zone into the yellow one, and I certainly don't feel any turbo action kicking in. I can't tell for sure if this phenomenon happened suddenly and at once or developing over time, since last time, some days before, my lovely wife drove the car on another 300 mile trip - and she doesn't pay enough attention to these things. Actually she was surprised when I pointed out that the pickup was down to about a third of what is used to be. Anyway, the Saab drives like any heavy, under-motorized four-banger now. Oh what agony.

Switching through sports and winter modes didn't change a thing - as expected. No warning signs are lit, everything else seems to be fine (expect the wiper failure and gas gauge, see my two previous posts), the car rides smoothly and quietly. But if I hadn't seen it under the hood myself I would swear the turbo had just fallen off the wagon.

I thought I try to ask for your ideas first - with all this collected wisdom and knowledge here - before heading out again 1.5 hrs each way to my venerated mechanic.
As always, your advice is always mostly appreciated!