Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab(s)
    2003 Saab 9-5 Linear Wagon, 1989 Saab 900 turbo convertible stick shift
    Thumbs Up:   0

Question Lazy gas gauge?

Hi Saabsters,

I was combing around in the forums but couldn't find a proper thread here about my actual problem, so here we go:

When we recently started the car (2003 9-5 2.3t Linear station wagon) going on our trip, the gas gauge showed that the tank only a quarter filled, though we knew it was at least 2/3 full. First we suspected some neighbors siphoning it off, but then our neighbors are way to nice to do that and gas prices are falling anyway right now.

It took us about ten minutes of driving until the needle started rising quite slowly to the actual level of 2/3 full. The car was parked for a day without driving at temperature of slighty above freezing for some days, but usually it kicks on right away without any delay.

We have the usual headache that the gas gauge shows the tank empty when it is fulled to the gills, and only when we are down to 3/4, it starts showing the correct level. With this glitch I can live - the other one though leaves me clueless. So what is it? Mechanical trouble due to temperatures or something else? Any ideas what the culprit may be? Thanks so much!

0 Not allowed!

mdb99@bellsouth.net
    Saab(s)
    01 95 Aero and Wagon, 09 93 Combi and an 08 95 Combi
    Thumbs Up:   13
    A bafflel in the fuel tank has come loos and is blocking the fuel level arm. You need to remove the fuel pump and reach into the tank and remove the baffle. Removing the FP is tricky if you have not done it before, but one out the baflel is easy to get out.

0 Not allowed!

Saab(s)
    2003 Saab 9-5 Linear Wagon, 1989 Saab 900 turbo convertible stick shift
    Thumbs Up:   0

Smile Thanks!

Thank you, Mike, that's very helpful. I found the WIS drawings for the fuel pump (http://saabworld.net/f144/fuel-syste...ab-9-5-a-1632/) and will take care of it as soon as I have a bit less gas in the tank. Much obliged!

0 Not allowed!