Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2004 9-5 Arc; 2002 9-5 Aero

Lost key options

I only have one key for my 2004 9-5. I'm looking for an inexpensive option for a spare key should I lose this one. I was at the local junkyard the other day and happened upon a 2001 9-5 with the key in the ignition. I grabbed the key, thinking I might be able to buy a blank, have it cut to my car and use the electronic guts from the donor key (assuming it could be programmed to my car). Can that be done, and are there any other parts I should go back and get (TWICE unit, transponder thing around the ignition switch)? Or should I just suck it up and buy a second key via the normal route? That is probably more costly, and I hate to do that as I only have about $2K in the car. It runs and drives great and I'm going to keep the car, but the intent is it should be a cheap-to-keep car (I do virtually all my own car repairs). Thanks guys.

Saab(s)
    2005 Saab 9-5 Arc
    I was in the same situation that you were in with my car. I bought a key on ebay, removed the transponder, and had it programmed by a Saab master tech who had the equipment to do so. You can buy a blank key online and then get it cut by an automotive locksmith. I put the programmed transponder in the newly cut casing and it works great! I think this is the best an cheapest option, and you already have the transponder. I had $40 in getting the key cut, $25 in the blank (you can find them much cheaper on ebay but I bought mine from a different website) and then all you need to do is get it programmed. The normal route to buy a key would be somewhere north of $200 so its worth the effort.
    #SwedeSpeed

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    Thanks Lucas. I'm going to give your suggestion a whirl. First order of business is to find a Saab master tech that can program the donor key.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    01" 9-5 aero wagon 04" 9-5 aero
    I can send you a blank uncut key if you make me one of those nice shifter cable fix thingamagigs

Quote Originally Posted by bobthebuilder View Post
    Thanks Lucas. I'm going to give your suggestion a whirl. First order of business is to find a Saab master tech that can program the donor key.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    Sure, but it will be after the holidays before I can make one up. Do you know if a key without the electronic guts (the buttons) will start the car? I've got the guts from a junkyard key but have read that they can only be programmed for a single car - i.e., can't reprogram for a different car.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    01" 9-5 aero wagon 04" 9-5 aero
    if you get a blank key and have it cut which should be around $25-30 it'll only open the doors.And you can certainly take the guts of any key and have it reprogram via tech 2 to any other car, i do it all the time

Quote Originally Posted by bobthebuilder View Post
    Sure, but it will be after the holidays before I can make one up. Do you know if a key without the electronic guts (the buttons) will start the car? I've got the guts from a junkyard key but have read that they can only be programmed for a single car - i.e., can't reprogram for a different car.

Saab(s)
    2008 9-5 Aero
    Call these guys: Lost Saab Keys I had the same problem and they sold me a complete key with remote transmitter and the RFID chip cut to fit my lock based off of my VIN and Key Code. Then take both keys into a Saab repair shop to have them programmed for your car at the same time.
    Measure with a micrometer. Mark it with chalk. Cut it with a chainsaw. Collary: Measure Twice. Cut Thrice. Keep cussing.