Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Robert Lee Clark
    Saab(s)
    1986 SPG

1986 SPG was bought with zero miles, now has 315,000 on it

And yes, it's had a few problems. One of which is an intermittent start/fail, possibly a bad pre-pump. I have begun a semi-restoration project, which will involve a new clutch, calipers, oil lines, brake booster module, interior, paint, shocks, tires, and a few other minor items like gauges and windshield.

I have removed both cooling fans and lubed their bearings, which solved the blown fuse problem, spliced in and rewired much of the related electrical wiring under the hood, pulled off and cleaned the intercooler (soaked in soap and water and rinsed out) and all turbo plumbing, had a new exhaust system installed (MAJOR IMPROVEMENT IN PERFORMANCE), replaced the fuel filter, and am bleeding the brakes and hydraulic clutch system as we speak.

Next will be all belts and hoses. I have checked and replaced the vacuum lines as needed. The vehicle and I are very good friends. I could work on it blindfolded. As you know, there are several metal standing seams under the hood, which eat into the palms of your hands when you're working on the engine; to cure this, I bought some black vinyl edge trim at O'Reilly's, and stuck this on the seams. It provides a smooth surface for bracing while wrenching, and also looks very nice and finished. I also shot the cast aluminum turbo piping with gloss SAAB blue, which looks really cool imo. I sure have enjoyed doing these upgrades and repairs. BTW, a "wood" steering wheel cover from WalMart really classes up the interior. I plan to "wood up" the glove box door and the door handle surrounds. Please feel free to contact me. I know a few things about my particular model, and would be glad to help with any problem.

Saab Nut
    Saab(s)
    93 9000 CSE, 85 900T
    Pictures...Please....

Robert Lee Clark
    Saab(s)
    1986 SPG

Pictures requested

Quote Originally Posted by jskrebs View Post
    Pictures...Please....
    In the past I have not been smart enough to upload pictures to any Forum, but I'll try.

Saab Nut
    Saab(s)
    93 9000 CSE, 85 900T
    Loading pics to this forum is very easy. If the pics are on you PC click Go Advanced, scroll down a bit and click manage attachments then follow the directions.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    28 years with one car? Very impressive! Did you drive these miles all over the US? I bet there are some good stories to tell when you have a car for that long.

We made uploading and sharing pictures as easy as possible here on SaabWorld. There is even an easier way than jskrebs explained and you can do directly in the Quick Reply box. Check this post for a quick overview: link

Saab Nut
    Saab(s)
    93 9000 CSE, 85 900T
    There is even an easier way than jskrebs explained
    No kidding! learn something new every day

Robert Lee Clark
    Saab(s)
    1986 SPG

Brief history of '86 SPG

I am very pleased to hear about the quick reply feature, thank you.
    Yes, the machine's been as far east as DC, west to AZ, and south to Mexico. I got to order the car from Bankston SAAB of Dallas in late '85. I now want to add pics but do not find that option; my phone's opened the site in an app I guess.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    When you use a phone, the site defaults to the Mobile Style theme. It doesn't look like you can post images through there as it is mostly text based.

Robert Lee Clark
    Saab(s)
    1986 SPG
    I see. Then I can shoot the pics to my email, and retry from the office PC. BTW,prior to having the new exhaust system installed, I ran the machine with just the downpipe. In that mode, these cars become rockets, especially on the highway, at higher r's. It's also LOUD, but it's a good loud, not that small OD tailpipe brappy sound. You can really hear the high-frequency turbo whine. It sounds great.

Robert Lee Clark
    Saab(s)
    1986 SPG

1986SPG in "shop" for repairs

The bearings in the cooling fan were found to be in need of some lube, but to access them, a few other items had to be removed. This led to the discovery of failed wiring insulation. The "crisis" was perceived as an "opportunity" to do some much-needed cleaning and maintenance. The "chore" then became a "pleasure", and much learning took place. The work (fun) is on-going!

The left rear caliper had failed, so a new one was installed. Right rear caliper is next. The goal is to get the machine to French's in Irving, Tx for a clutch replacement, then back to the "shop" for new cooling hoses, belts, oil lines, and several other repairs. Here are a few pictures so far...
    Attached Images Attached Images