Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X

Oil filters

There is a large choice of oil filters available and I usual take the kind that is included with the oil change special at my local auto parts store like Bosch, K&N or AC Delco. I also have used the Saab and MANN filters and there usually isn't much price difference. I like MANN because those are made in Germany but not sure if that really makes a difference.

I avoid Purolator because i have heard bad things about them. And they sell those at Walmart, the obvious place to find the cheapest products of anything. There really isn't much price difference for most filters and most only seem to differentiate between packaging and marketing talk. So I just stay with the larger brands like Bosch, K&N, Mobil, Saab or MANN.

Some brands also have regular, premium and other versions of their filter. I am also seeing oversized filters from K&N and Mahle. A search on Amazon for my 9-5 shows these filters are available.

Bosch Premium
    Bosch D3330 Distance Plus
    Bosch L3330 Long life
    Purolator Classic
    Purolator PureONE
    Purolator Synthetic
    Royal Purple Extended Life
    K&N Pro Series
    K&N Performance
    Wix Spin-on
    Wix Parts Master
    Wix Heavy Duty
    Mann
    AC Delco
    Fram Extra Guard
    Fram Tough Guard
    Fram Extended Guard
    Fram High Mileage
    Pennzoil Regular
    Pennzoil Platinum
    Mobil 1 Extended Performance
    Denso
    Baldwin Heavy Duty
    Mahle Original
    AC Delco Professional Classic

And even some more brands I have never heard of. It's crazy...! Kind of like choosing shampoo or toothpaste in the big stores.. Can't we have just 3 choices Good, Better and Best?

So... what's the best filter for our Saabs? How do you choose which one to buy?

Saab(s)
    86 SPG, 88 SPG, 91 SPG, 88 SiS, 89 900T, 96 900 SE CV, 96 Aero, 00 9-3 SE CV, 90 JetPack, 94 CE
    I use Bosch, Fram and Mann. I haven't noticed much difference between them as far as performance goes. However, I tend to gravitate towards the Fram brand because of their SureGrip feature.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    This is an interesting thread to read: The OFFICIAL Oil Filter Testing and Results Thread (4G63T/4B11T) - evolutionm.net

It probably doesn't make much difference if you change your filters regularly like 3000-7000 miles. With the much longer intervals up to 15K miles some manufacturers are using, using synthetic filter material like the one from Royal Purple seems to be a good choice.

Saab(s)
    MY98 SAAB 9-5 2.0 ECO SE LPT Man
    My proposal: Mann. I have opened some of them after changing: very solid filer material and good quality valves are in (by-pass and anti-drain).

Saab Enthusiast CaptainMediocre's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    2007 Saab 95 2.3T Sedan
    Going to throw this out there why not. Napa Platinum. Synthetic wire backed media, costs around $11.

I would love to buy Amsoil filters, but Amsoil almost purposely makes it hard to buy their products. They aren't on Amazon or available at most major retailers, and I don't feel like paying shipping charges on a filter.

For me I'll go with the Napa filter mainly because there is a store 3 blocks from my house.

Roger Cook
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2008 9-5 Aero, 2006 9-3SC 2.0T, 2000 Viggen 'vert, SAAB Quantum, 2000 9-5 retired at 318K miles
    I use over-sized filters on my 9-5 and Viggen. For years I would buy the Purolator PureONE PL-20195, or the Mobil-1 M1-209 if I happened upon a Mobil-1 Oil and Filter Combo sale. Lately I have noticed the Purolator filters to be very light weight with soft can shells. The Bosch that I pulled off my son's GrandAm engine last weekend was far more stout than the Purolator PureONE that went back on.

Now I need to find the Bosch equivalent to the PL20195.

The Bosch equivalents are #3422, #D3422, and #L3422 Base, Distance Plus, and Long Life filter models.

I have noticed zero difference in the open cartridge filter used on the wife's 9-3SC. All brands look identical in pleats and media.
    Last edited by MI-Roger; 24 January 2015 at 21:13.

Dave T.
    Saab(s)
    1999 9-3SE (2013-2015), 2005 9-3 (2005-2013), 1990 900 (1990-2003)
    When I had my classic 900, I bought Mann filters by mail. With the 9-3SS, I used Saab filters, made by Hengst, mainly because they weren't too expensive and my low mileage driving meant they had to be changed only about once every 10-12 months. The appearance of the Saab/Hengst filter was that they looked slightly more robust but I have to objective testing data. The most robust were the 2003-2004 Saab filters with the thick media and zig zag pleats but the oil filter specifications changed such that those filters were not recommended for 2005 and later 9-3s.

Saab(s)
    2010 9-3 XWD
    I've had no issues with either Mann or extended use Frame on my 2010 9-3 XWD. I get everything for her on Amazon Prime no shipping cost and everything arrives in 2 days. I have been using Aimsoil because I get 20% off which covers shipping. I was thinking of switching to Castrol fully synthetic.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    Bought a Bosch Premium 3330 oil filter from AutoZone for my 9-5 and it feels like a quality filter. I think it said it was made in the USA so that's good. Only $6.95 so the price seems right.

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 SportCombi Aero, 2005 9-5 Combi Arc
    I've tended to use AC Delco most of my life in everything from a 1974 Corvette to my 2006 Silverado and have had no complaints. Fram has been said to have got real skimpy on their filters as has the purolator basic. I'll splurge for a Mobil 1 when i get them on a oil/filter deal... otherwise Delco, MANN or Purolator PureONE. I'd use a Bosch as well, all personal taste and research. I prefer my filters made in USA or Germany, but the cut open chinese ones I have seen were of impressive build for the steel used.