Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

Saab(s)
    1982 Saab 900 Turbo Hatchback

front brake caliper question

Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum so really haven't had a chance to search through it all. But... I need help ASAP!! Is there any tutorials on how to get a piston out of my front brake caliper? Thinking of rebuilding it but need to practice on a spare one I have that probably doesn't work. Right now, I cannot get the piston out!! What do I do? I need DETAILS, DETAILS, DETAILS!! Now be kind because you have 2 old (60 and older) ladies working on this car. We try to do our own work on it. There are not any Saab mechanics around my hometown that I know of besides the fact we're on a budget. Mechanics are very pricey these days!! Thanks for any help.

Saab Enthusiast CaptainMediocre's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    2007 Saab 95 2.3T Sedan
    I don't have much advice to offer in this area having never done it myself, but I just wanted to say I like your enthusiasm and willingness to do your own work, keep at it and you'll learn a lot!

Also I searched youtube for "remove caliper piston", and there are many videos of other people's tips, the advice doesn't always have to be Saab specific. This is usually what I do before starting anything, spend all night watching videos of other people doing it.

Saab Nut
    Saab(s)
    93 9000 CSE, 85 900T
    What year? They changed in 87. Generically I remove the pistons with compressed air.

Saab(s)
    1982 Saab 900 Turbo Hatchback
    It's an '82. We finally got it out but the compressed air didn't work on it. Ended up unscrewing one piston and tapping the other side out. Was that a wrong way to do it?

Saab Nut
    Saab(s)
    93 9000 CSE, 85 900T
    Compressed air works on single acting pistons. That caliper assembly is a bit more complicated. Crazy double piston with Ebrake mechanism. I have them on my 85. I bought rebuilds last time. Good luck with the rebuild and post some pictures of the process if you can.

Robert Lee Clark
    Saab(s)
    1986 SPG
    Quote Originally Posted by jskrebs View Post
    Compressed air works on single acting pistons. That caliper assembly is a bit more complicated. Crazy double piston with Ebrake mechanism. I have them on my 85. I bought rebuilds last time. Good luck with the rebuild and post some pictures of the process if you can.
    There is an excellent tutorial on this Forum by "euromobile900". If I knew how to link that tutorial to this thread, I would do it. It's called "my pre-1988 brakes tutorial to end all tutorials - c900". It appears to be dated 2011-08-15.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Quote Originally Posted by 1986SPG View Post
    There is an excellent tutorial on this Forum by "euromobile900". If I knew how to link that tutorial to this thread, I would do it. It's called "my pre-1988 brakes tutorial to end all tutorials - c900". It appears to be dated 2011-08-15.
    Great tip, I forgot about that tutorial. Find it here: http://saabworld.net/f70/my-pre-1988...als-c900-2721/

There are a lot of other good tutorials in that 900 Tutorials subforum: http://saabworld.net/f70/