Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Robert Lee Clark
    Saab(s)
    1986 SPG

Thumbs up What can you expect from new springs?

Greetings esteemed SAAB owners. The springs under my '86 SPG are OEM. The shocks have been changed a few times, but always the same springs. The time has come to either fish or cut bait on some new ones, as these units have 315,000 miles on them. I guess they're worn out, but I don't know.

To all who have installed new coil springs on their vehicles, what is the result? In my particular case, I would like progressive springing, so that I have some modicum of comfort around town, but at highway speeds, it would be great for the machine to handle like a 335i or similar. Wait, I did not say that! LOL

Saab Nut
    Saab(s)
    93 9000 CSE, 85 900T
    My 85 C900 has 300K and I just installed new springs from Abbott Racing. I also have Koni Reds and the car rides and handles very well. I do not have any ARB's so body roll is an issue.
    Attached Images Attached Images       

Robert Lee Clark
    Saab(s)
    1986 SPG
    Thank you for the reply. It would appear that there was no change in ride-height if I'm reading the yardstick correctly. I would like to ask, what is the difference in feel at around 80+ mph? And also, do the springs deliver a reasonably comfortable ride around town? Thanks JS

Saab Nut
    Saab(s)
    93 9000 CSE, 85 900T
    I posted the same shot twice drop is 1.5" ride at 100 is very solid. Ride is stiffer but not uncomfortably definitely a better road feel. You notice the drop when you step out. Your SPG may not have as pronounced a drop since it was lower to begin with. Check out Abbott's web site as I think these springs may be a bit stiffer than the SPG springs. That said the 900 rides like a Oldsmobile compared to my Elise.

Saab Nut
    Saab(s)
    93 9000 CSE, 85 900T
    Here is the before shot plus a few more
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Robert Lee Clark
    Saab(s)
    1986 SPG
    Thank you. My AtrixHD for some reason won't allow me to open the pics but I will try tomorrow from the PC. Thanks! And btw nice machine.