Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

Saab(s)
    '06 saab 9 5 aero estate

Unhappy it must be electrical!

Hi

I am a woman who knows nothing about cars! My Saab 9 5 aero petrol estate car (2006) hates me.

When I bought it last year the engine management light was on. The garage could find nothing wrong so reset it. Since then it comes on randomly.

After a while my alarm was going off randomly when I locked it using the key fob. Not immediately but middle of the night normally! Changed the battery in the fob. No change. I now lock using the key and the alarm is quiet. I can unlock with the fob and all is ok.

Next the driver window started to come out of the outside bit but I can close it if I guide it up with my hand.

Now sometimes the key fob won't work to unlock the car. In the last week sometimes the car won't start. When turning the ignition it doesn't fire but isn't totally dead. Obviously when I try to fire her up, it dies. However the lights and radio etc still work. Had the battery and alternator checked and ok. It jump starts easily.

Please please clever Saab owners tell me how to sort the not starting issue (and the rest if you can). It is ok when out and about during the day as people are around and I keep my jump leads in the car at all times but I got caught out last night and had to phone a friend to jump start me. It is getting really annoying.

If you can tell me how to cure this I will love you forever!
    Last edited by mobly; 18 December 2014 at 16:22. Reason: tagging

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Hello and welcome. Your Saab doesn't hate you, just needs some attention.

Quote Originally Posted by mobly View Post
    When I bought it last year the engine management light was on. The garage could find nothing wrong so reset it. Since then it comes on randomly.
    You probalby don't know the OBD fault code but that's the next step in trying to figure out why the light came on.

After a while my alarm was going off randomly when I locked it using the key fob. Not immediately but middle of the night normally! Changed the battery in the fob. No change. I now lock using the key and the alarm is quiet. I can unlock with the fob and all is ok.
    This is a common issue up to the 2004 model year. http://saabworld.net/f9/alarm-going-off-random-26205/

But you indicate yours is a 2006 so not a common problem on those model years. Could be one of the sensors going bad but that's just a guess.

Next the driver window started to come out of the outside bit but I can close it if I guide it up with my hand.
    This sounds like one of the green window rollers needs to be replaced. Not difficult but requires some mechanical skills. http://saabworld.net/f29/green-windo...aab-9-5-a-163/

Now sometimes the key fob won't work to unlock the car. In the last week sometimes the car won't start. When turning the ignition it doesn't fire but isn't totally dead. Obviously when I try to fire her up, it dies. However the lights and radio etc still work. Had the battery and alternator checked and ok. It jump starts easily.
    That's the most difficult to diagnose. Are there currently any engine lights on?

Saab Enthusiast CaptainMediocre's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    2007 Saab 95 2.3T Sedan
    As for the windows, that is the common Saab issue of the green window rollers
    SAAB, Volvo Window Roller Kit - URO Parts 000K10004 - Free Shipping

When you try to start your car and it refuses, is it making any sort of noise? Is it clicking, whining, or just nothing?

Richard Klein
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    1999 SAAB 9-5
    The alarm in my '99 does that and I can't be bothered to fix it. If things haven't changed between '99 and '06, you can pull the fuse for the air conditioner and it will also disable the alarm.

I've had cars with batteries that were too weak to start the engine, but still enough juice to run lights and radio (the lights were dimmer than usual, but that's not immediately obvious if they aren't next to healthy lights).