Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90

What is up with my breaks squeaking?

I replaced the pads a couple weeks back.
    When ever I replace pads I remove the squeaking device that warns of pad thickness. (Because they squeak! And I check the breaks occasionally.)
    I also put silicone on the pads in 2 or 3 spots ware the tin plate meets the steel pad backing.
    Also a good dab on the spring part that holds the pad into the cylinder. And a good dab in the middle of the outer pad.
    The silicone is to absorb vibration so the pads don't squeak.....
    And the front ones are squeaking...
    Any ideas?
    I did not replace or turn the rotors. Just changed pads and lubed slider bolts.
    Of course I painted the calipers red too!
    I also installed new shocks and spring helpers in the rear springs.
    Huge difference!
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    finding41
    Marty Jackson
    www.northchannelcharters.com

Saab(s)
    01 95 Aero and Wagon, 09 93 Combi and an 08 95 Combi
    Can say for sure, but I do know that silicone is not the proper lube. There is a specific grease for that application.
    Get you boat out yet?
    Mike

Saab Enthusiast CaptainMediocre's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    2007 Saab 95 2.3T Sedan
    Which brand of brake pads did you use?

My Saab has been ok but I went through this with my van this summer, squeaked like crazy after installing new pads and rotors. I took it all apart again, put the lube everywhere and installed brand new caliper bolts on top of that and torqued everything down to spec.

At first it was fine, but about a day later it started squealing like mad again.

When I replaced the pads, I just used the cheap $25 pads from Napa. So I ordered a set of Akebono pads for $100, installed them, and its been whisper quiet ever since.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brennan View Post
    There is a specific grease for that application.
    I was taught to use copper grease on the back of brake pads. But that was 25 years ago and I am not sure if they introduced any new miracle stuff since then. I should check my brakes pads soon..

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    1970 96
    My understanding brakes that 'squeak' are/is making that sound by (the pad or pads or in VW bugs shoes) vibrating at a high frequency. Silicone adhesive is often used to glue the brake pad to the piston, increasing the mass and damping the vibration, of just holding the pad to the piston to stop it from vibrating. This should work well however getting everything clean enough to stick them together was always my problem. I like to use that copper grease Wulf mentioned I call it anti seize (from NAPA) to help the pads move in their slots, where the pad sits in the caliper, however that should help the pad move more freely, which is my plan. Just a tiny bit on the surfaces where the pad is held in place against the caliper or now against the caliper and pad support assembly. I use this to help the pads move where they are supposed to be free... however I have to think that it eventually gets onto the rotor and pads decreasing the frictional effectiveness....... But I do use a dab.....
    Disk brake squeeking is something I have always associated with brake dust. This allows the pads to vibrate ( or oscillate if your will). The dust works as a bearing or lubricating medium, allowing the pad to vibrate. I recall a fellow cleaning the brake and road dust from his Mercedes Benz in the Boston area with compressed air to reduce the squeaking. That is probably why you were asked what type of pads you used. I always use the shims, I try to make sure the shims are holding the brake firmly, I am not a big fan of the silicone adhesive to glue the pads to the shoes, the Ate springs should old the pads well enough to keep them from vibrating. I will keep looking to see what resolves your brake squeaking issues... I am always learning...

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    1970 96
    Sorry I guess I have not gotten the hang of a quick reply yet.

Saab Enthusiast CaptainMediocre's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    2007 Saab 95 2.3T Sedan
    This makes sense as why the cheaper pads caused squealing in my van situation. Cheaper pads could ...

a)produce more dust, thus leading to more squeal
    and/or
    b)Being cheaper and probably built to lower standards and could possibly not be an exact 100% fit, thus be more prone to shaking around inside the caliper and causing squeal

Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    I use silicone as a anti vibration thing. Not to stick the pads to the caliper.
    Look at the picture in my original post. You will see a dab of silicone in the center of the hollow area showing the pad.
    I don't thing break dust was the problem as they started squeaking right away... I washed the car and wheels tonight.
    I don't think so as I had cleaned the calipers with a wire wheel and painted them when I did the pads.
    I'm heading on a road trip tomorrow so I'll see if washing has any effect. Hopefully I'll be able to tell you if towing a sailboat makes any difference. I'm going to look at another Mac 26D that needs a good home.
    Hopefully it will follow me home!
    finding41
    Marty Jackson

atiba.dopwell
    What saab do u have

Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    Quote Originally Posted by atiba.dopwell View Post
    What saab do u have
    I have a 03 Aero Wagon and a 04 Arc wagon.
    The Aero has the squeaky breaks.
    It still squeaks with and empty trailer behind.
    I pick up the new boat Sat. Squeaky breaks or not.
    finding41
    Marty Jackson