Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Ron Fredey
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2000 9-5 3.0

Little Gear of Death

Hello. Just picked up a 2001 9-5 3.0 Wagon 2 days ago with "transmission problems" according to the previous owner. 144,000 miles.

First I'm getting front light failure; back light failure; and check security messages on the SID. No headlights. I replaced headlight relay. No change. Haven't examined bulbs yet.

Car starts fine with no problem. NO CEL light or stored codes when checked with OBDII reader. Once car begins to move in gear after a minute or so the ABS TCS brake light and Triangle of death come on followed closely by the little gear of death. Transmission seems to go into limp mode at that point, but no codes are being thrown.

PO was told he needed a new transmission, but I'm suspect as it seems to be some type of electrical problem.

I know you can't diagnose it from where you sit, but I'm looking for any hints, ideas, similar experiences that would help me with troubleshooting.

Thank you.

Ron

Ron Fredey
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2000 9-5 3.0
    Just to update my own post, the problem identified,by MikeD the Saab tuning guy who lives close to me, was the alternator was overcharging and it was reading 20V at the battery when the car was running.

The alternator pulled from the car was an aftermarket alternator with no brand name on it. I bought a used bosch alternator from that auction site and once replaced eliminated the problems.

MikeD explained that when the alternator voltage regulator puts out too much voltage, the electronic systems start to shut down to protect themselves. Therefore I was seeing ABS lights and the transmission little circle of death.

After replacement of the alternator (and having the ABS module repaired just to make sure) the car runs and shifts fine.

Thanks to MikeD. I appreciate it.

Ron

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    08 Vert Aero T2
    You should update your post at the other Saab forum, that community would benefit from your findings.

Ron Fredey
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2000 9-5 3.0
    Thanks! Will do.