Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

Saab(s)
    1997 saab 900s

power steering fluid in the brake fluid resevoir... 6 weeks and brakes are fine?

so... i just learned yesterday that my (well-meaning) boyfriend put power steering fluid in the brake fluid resevoir. the power steering, needless to say, did not improve, but neither have my brakes failed. shouldn't 6 weeks of driving have done some damage? since i figured this out, i am not driving until i have the brakes bled, but i'm a bit mystified. it was crappy power steering fluid, apparently the wrong kind anyway. any insight?

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Just bleeding the brakes won't do much good and you don't want to take any risks with your brakes.

Here is some more info: AGCO Automotive Repair Service - Baton Rouge, LA - Detailed Auto Topics - What Happens When Power Steering Fluid Is Put In The Brakes

When a petroleum-based fluid, such as power steering fluid, enters the brake system, damage begins immediately. The first damage is usually to the reservoir cap and master cylinder seals. When we apply the brake pedal, the master cylinder quickly pumps the contaminant into the rest of the system. The only effective repair is disassembly of the system, cleaning the lines and replacing every rubber component. Petroleum soaks into rubber and any contaminant left in the system will cause the process to repeat.

Saab(s)
    2010 9-3 XWD
    Wulf is correct. You will need to basically rebuild your complete brake system replacing all seals. From the master cylinder all the way thru the calibers flushing the system is not enough to ensure there will not be a failure due to residual petroleum product in a seal or line.