Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2011 9-4X, 1978 99 Turbo, 1964 GT850

Weak Headlights (base lights on 3.0 Premium)

I just got my 9-4X a couple of weeks ago, so am still sorting through a few things and learning to live with it. One thing that was pointed out by a friend and that I have now experienced myself is that the low-beam headlights are dismally dim. I live "out in the country" and drive often on 2-lane roads with no other lighting. The high beams are decent, but when I dip them for oncoming traffic I really can't see where I'm going. I plan to try to get some brighter bulbs and possibly to aim them a bit higher, but I am interested as to whether anyone else has made the same observation and come up with any other improvements. I found that fog lights could be installed for about $400-$450 in parts plus the effort to get the proper codes to reprogram the Body Control Module. I suspect that trying to upgrade to the HID up-level headlights would be wildly expensive, and I'm sure would require the same BCM effort. I am not sure if the same wiring is used or not. Let me know what you think!
    Best,
    Gary

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    I wasn't impressed with the headlights on my 9-4X Premium either. I replaced the factory bulbs with Philips CrystalVision Ultra and that was somewhat of an improvement: SaabWorld - Saab Garage

Fog lights won't be much help for regular driving as they shine their light right in front of the car. Not farther ahead like regular headlights.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2011 9-4X, 1978 99 Turbo, 1964 GT850
    Wulf,
    Many thanks, I'll give the bulbs/aiming a try. I agree, fog lights (which are not "driving lights") won't help with seeing further.
    Thanks!
    Gary

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    '95 9000 Aero, '98 9000 CSE, '05 9-5, '11 9-4X
    I suppose it depends on where one is coming from. The standard headlights don't seem that bad when I drive it regularly. Then, I get into my son's BMW 535ix and the HID headlights are clearly superior in area coverage and distance. Judging from the headlight flashes from oncoming cars, they're also obviously blinding them.

jack vines

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2011 9-4x, 2008 9-3 Aero, had 2005 9-3 Arc, '93 9000CSE, '86 9000Turbo
    I have the Technology package which are supposed to be "Bi-Xenon cornering headlights with signature front lighting" and I don't think the low beams are very bright, especially compared to my wife's 2015 Buick Regal GS

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2011 9-4x 3.0 xwd
    I just bought the Sylvania ZXE bulbs. I too think the stock low beams are a little weak. The ZXE's work well in my Silverado I'm sure they will help the 9-4x.