Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Fan
    Either the Coast or Mountains of North Carolina
    Saab(s)
    2011 9-4X Premium FWD

Steering Wheel Sound

My steering wheel has been making an odd scrubbing noise when driving at slow speeds. I cant hear the noise from the outside, only from the inside. No lights are on and the vehicle drive fine. If anyone has any ideas as to what this could be, I would appreciate the help!

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2011 Saab 9-4X Aero
    Chances are its because of the cold weather. The top Mounts of the suspension (that have been replaced in the SRX several times) are the culprit. Essentially they are cold and make a lot of noise. I have been told there are no safety concerns but they are just the rubber top hats being cold and making noise. In any case there are plenty of updates to the part if you do want to replace them but that would require disassemble of the suspension shock tower which isn't hard but time consuming.

Saab Fan
    Either the Coast or Mountains of North Carolina
    Saab(s)
    2011 9-4X Premium FWD
    Thanks for your help! It didn't start this until the weather got into sub-freezing temps, so I thought there may be some connection to the cold. I will probably ignore it until I take it in for an oil change again in March and see if my $0 deductible warranty (ESC) covers the top mounts, which I would have replaced if it does. Thanks again!

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    '11 9-4X Aero, '07 9-3 Aero Conv, had 9-3 Conv (99) 9000 (86)
    Quote Originally Posted by kanundrum View Post
    Chances are its because of the cold weather. The top Mounts of the suspension (that have been replaced in the SRX several times) are the culprit. Essentially they are cold and make a lot of noise. I have been told there are no safety concerns but they are just the rubber top hats being cold and making noise. In any case there are plenty of updates to the part if you do want to replace them but that would require disassemble of the suspension shock tower which isn't hard but time consuming.
    I have same exact problem, if its below 34-32 it makes the noise if the car is parked outside or after the car-wash... dealer has no idea what it is, I will have them replace the top mounts. Thank You!!!