Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Dave T.
    Saab(s)
    1999 9-3SE (2013-2015), 2005 9-3 (2005-2013), 1990 900 (1990-2003)

What to fix, what to let go?

How does one decide what to fix and what to let go?

Previously, anything that wasn't right in my Saabs, I fixed. I never drove around with a broken car (if that's what you call it).

Now, I have a 1999 9-3SE, which I've had for almost 2 years. Almost everything worked a year ago. However, the broken things are accumulating....

The hood (bonnet) struts don't work so I either need a helper to hold open the hood or I hold it myself. I can either fix it (cost????) or get a piece of wood to hold it up much like Japanese cars have a metal stick to hold it up.

Opinions and philosophies?

Saab(s)
    2010 9-3 XWD
    I would make a list of repairs that, need to be done in order of importance and repair as I could afford to unless I was going to get of the car. In that case it may be moot. Remember one broken part can lead to others due to the old compensating errors theorem!

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    It depends on the original and overal condition of the car and on how long you expect to keep it. Many smaller things that need be fixed can get annoying, especially if everything else is in nice shape. As an example, there was a ticking noise from my front end and it turned out the CV joints were getting bad. Still was driving fine but after replacing the axles and suspension links, it almost feels like a new car again. And should have had it done much sooner.

It is also a sense of pride to keep everything in good working order, especially for most enthusiasts like us when a car is more than just transportation.

Dave T.
    Saab(s)
    1999 9-3SE (2013-2015), 2005 9-3 (2005-2013), 1990 900 (1990-2003)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wulf View Post

It is also a sense of pride to keep everything in good working order, especially for most enthusiasts like us when a car is more than just transportation.
    I agree. I have a relative who lets things go. I can count 10 things wrong with their car and probably could find more, if I looked.

I've decided not to let my car go. When it gets warmer, I will buy some hood shock absorbers. First, I have to read up to make sure you don't need super human strength to put them on, but I don't think so.

Saab(s)
    2010 9-3 XWD
    Don't let your head over rule your brain or good money will follow bad. I know that from first hand experience and loving a certain Alfa! lol.....