Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab(s)
    2003 Saab 9-5 Aero 2.3t Wagon HO Manual

Car Wash Damage...

Wow, what a way to start the day. Went for a much needed car wash at an automated car wash, they type with "soft" brushes. When my 2003 Saab 9-5 Wagon got to the center of the automated wash, I heard a loud banging coming from the left side of the car. The banging sound was loud enough to startle you. After the wash, I inspected the car and I have chipped paint scrapes, dents, broken rear lift gate 3rd brake light, deep gouges in my rear lift gate glass..all along the length of the drivers side and around the back of the vehicle. Whatever came loose in that car wash, really did a lot of damage to my car. Filled out a damage report with an employee at the wash. The car wash employee made a comment about having the car repaired at a shop that they deal with to avoid making an insurance claim. Anyone out there ever had your vehicle damged at a carwash? I'll be posting some photos...
    2003 Saab 9-5 Aero B235R
    Sport Wagon 2.3T HO Manual
    140,627 Miles

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Quote Originally Posted by photousa View Post
    The car wash employee made a comment about having the car repaired at a shop that they deal with to avoid making an insurance claim.
    Sorry to hear about the damage and it sounds like it is not uncommon. Are they trying to avoid an insurance claim or is this going through your own insurance?

I mostly use self-serve wash places and maybe go through a car wash a few times a year. Some of those mechanical arms with brushes can put a lot of force on the car.

Saab(s)
    2003 Saab 9-5 Aero 2.3t Wagon HO Manual
    I reported it immediately to my insurance company, then took my car out to a couple of body shops that I know of to get a couple of estimates. $4400 at one and around $2500 at another to repair the damage. I think the car wash may want me to take my car to a body shop that they work with to avoid having to make a claim on their insurance. I'm still waiting to hear from them. I also use self service most of the time, but when it's really cold out during the winter, it's handy to just run it through an automated wash.
    2003 Saab 9-5 Aero B235R
    Sport Wagon 2.3T HO Manual
    140,627 Miles

Saab(s)
    9-5 my 99 2,3t SE, 9-5 my 02 Aero SC
    a little tip .. if it a lot under freezing point ... make sure the paint isn`t too cold... washers using hot water and hot water on cold surface makes cracks.... results can be some like that.....
    in sweden we don`t use hot water washing in winter (if not sent to a recond firm) ... another problem that can pop up is ice forming on brakes and so on..'

swoooooooosh 4 now

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Not sure what the water temperature in automatic car washes is in winter time. I took mine through an automatic wash today and fortunately no problems. It was around -10C outside so not too bad. Using a self-serve wash in freezing temperatures often turns the car into an icicle right away.

Not sure how long it will stay clean (probably a few days if it is not snowing and stays below freezing) but it sure is nice to have a clean Saab again.

Saab(s)
    9-5 my 99 2,3t SE, 9-5 my 02 Aero SC
    the temp in the wash is`nt the problem it`s hot water against cold paintjob. It´s not carvedd in stone that it`S going to happend. In sweden petrolstations have like garages to rent for hand washing cars.
    u can set water temp self and to gentle wash off.
    in winter BIG clean is throwing money in the lake.. just flush off every second day or so...

peace