Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

Saab(s)
    2007 9-5

Power steering problem

I’m new to the community and just want to say hello, I drive a 2007 9-5 now I own 89 SPG and 84 900 in the pass recently my power steering start making noise and power steering was hard to steer. This happen on my way home from work last week, once I get home open up the hood look at the reservoir and it was bone dry. I'm not sure where the fluid is leaking from but it have leak out, any suggestion where I should start?

Thanks
    Last edited by Saab 9-5 BK; 28 January 2015 at 15:37.

Saab(s)
    01 95 Aero and Wagon, 09 93 Combi and an 08 95 Combi
    My 08 had a leaking joint in the hose. I had to replace it. Complicated to do for sure and the hose itself is about 100.00. My guess is that under the motor you will find where it is dripping.

Saab(s)
    2007 9-5
    Thanks for your reply Mike, I will look at this once I dig out the car right now its under 3ft of snow here in Boston. BTW do you remember where you bought the part from?

Saab(s)
    2009 9-3 2.0T SC Aero XWD\eLSD. eSID2
    You may as well pay attention to two "hot spots" with regard to potential points for leaks. Saab submitted two Modification Instructions (MI), each of which to prevent / repair leakage of power steering fluid. They may apply for your 9-5, depending on whether it is within the VIN ranges or not.

One of the mods is on the internet: Saab Workshop Manuals > 9-5 (9600) L4-2.3L Turbo (2007) > Steering and Suspension > Steering > Power Steering > Power Steering Line/Hose > Component Information > Technical Service Bulletins > All Technical Service Bulletins for Power Steering Line/H.

The other, MI 644-2699, not found on the internet, applies for cars within VIN range 63520874 - 83506655. Background: "The power steering system's delivery line may chafe against the radiator, which in some cases may lead to power steering fluid leakage. Symptom desciption: Chafing damage to the power steering system's delivery line.". So an inspection of that area may be an idea.

Saab(s)
    01 95 Aero and Wagon, 09 93 Combi and an 08 95 Combi
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brennan View Post
    My 08 had a leaking joint in the hose. I had to replace it. Complicated to do for sure and the hose itself is about 100.00. My guess is that under the motor you will find where it is dripping.
    Saab Parts Cheap. Hendricks Saab in NC. Cheapest OEM parts I ever found.