Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X

Peeling buttons on dash

I am occasionally checking out the 9-5 II. Not any definite plans to purchase but you never know when the right opportunity comes along.

I often see 9-5 NG with only 30 - 40K miles that have buttons on the dash where the coating peeled off. Some are worse than others. I know this has been a problem on the 9-3 as well and I am sure this would annoy me every time I drive a car with that problem. I thought Saab would have fixed the peeling button problem by the time they released the 9-5. Definitely not something you would expect on a $40K + premium European automobile.

Is there a fix for this like replacing or reparing the buttons or does it require replacing the climate control / audio units? How do owners deal with this and do they peel in your car or not all?

Name:  Saab 9-5 NG dash.jpg
Views: 2096
Size:  38.1 KB

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2011 9-4x 3.0 xwd
    Wulf, our 9-4x has the same issue. In retrospect it would have been nice to see Saab spend a little more money on hvac and tail light quality and a lot less on Jason Castriota.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    9-5 2.0tid vector 2011
    the buttons started to peel on my old 9-5, on the sid, I think the cause is contamination on hands, I remember having something on my finger, can't remember what though
    Df

Saab Nut
    Saab(s)
    2012, 95 Aero
    Hi Wulf, no problems with my car - but I am the only driver (other than for servicing) and the mileage has just turned 22,000.
    Did not have any problems with my 9-3 SW (147,000 when sold) but I have this type of problem with our Mitsubishi though I am not too bothered as it is mainly for local runs as a 4x4 it works hard.
    TTFN

Saab(s)
    2011 9-5
    This appears to be a common problem with these cars. On mine, the volume button has peeled. My quick fix was to apply matte black nail polish and it looks ... ok. I'm sure I could have done a better job by taking the button off and airbrushing it but for now, it's not really noticeable and the color match and finish is ... ok. I used Maybelline Color Show black to black 706 Black matte from Target. It was about $3.

Name:  IMG_6807.jpg
Views: 1880
Size:  9.0 KBName:  IMG_6816.jpg
Views: 1876
Size:  8.6 KBName:  IMG_6812.jpg
Views: 1870
Size:  40.8 KBName:  IMG_6826.jpg
Views: 1880
Size:  9.3 KB

Saab Nut
    Saab(s)
    2012, 95 Aero
    Never had a good word for nail polish until now!
    I suppose it is easy to remove if you make a mistake - you could colour co-ordinate the buttons to suit the colour of the car.
    A good piece of lateral thinking.
    TTFN

Saab(s)
    9-5NG Aero XWD Turbo6 (-11)
    The round buttons have started peeling like that for me as well. I was thinking about trying to tinker a bit with them, but I would need some high resolution images of well preserved buttons.

Is there anyone with nice looking buttons that could take some well lit images?

Thank you in advance!

Saab Nut
    Saab(s)
    2012, 95 Aero
    Quote Originally Posted by EOX View Post
    The round buttons have started peeling like that for me as well. I was thinking about trying to tinker a bit with them, but I would need some high resolution images of well preserved buttons.

Is there anyone with nice looking buttons that could take some well lit images?

Thank you in advance!
    Hi, a chap on one of the NG9-5 FB groups has printed some as self-adhesive peel-off labels.
    Will try to get some more details for you.

Saab Nut
    Saab(s)
    2012, 95 Aero
    Hugh Janda on the SAAB 9-5 NG Connection. Its a closed group. Have asked if he has any sets left and awaiting a reply.

Saab(s)
    9-5NG Aero XWD Turbo6 (-11)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gepe View Post
    Hugh Janda on the SAAB 9-5 NG Connection. Its a closed group. Have asked if he has any sets left and awaiting a reply.
    Perfect, thank you!