Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

Saab(s)
    Saab 9-5 vectra 2.0 tdi

Servicing Steering Wheel Lock - Warning Light On

I am new to this site but I thought I would inform you of a problem I had today. I went to my car which is a 2011 saab 9-5 2.0tdi but it would not start and kept getting the message servicing steering wheel lock on the dashboard I tried several things but could not clear it. I gave up and called the RAC to try and help me out. Whilst waiting after half and hour I tried again and the car started. I duly cancelled the RAC and drove and started it a few times and everything was OK. I did a search about the problem and found a similar post on you site back in January 2012. I hope it doesn't happen again because I don't know what caused it. Anyway I thought I would just let you know of my similar problem to some of you.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    9-5 NG Sedan & 9-3 Convertible
    Hey Gil,
    This is an issue that occurs from time to time. We experienced it with our car. Took the car to the dealer and they installed a new software patch from the factory and we have not experienced the problem since. Suggest chatting to your local dealer.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    9-5 2.0tid vector 2011
    yep same here, though they did say sometimes the lock needs replacing.

Saab(s)
    2011 Saab 9-5 Tid4 Vector SE
    I have had this problem about 5 or 6 times over the last 3 years ownership of my 2011 9-5 Tid4 Vector SE. A new battery fixed it for a short period after calling out Green flag to rescue me. It annoyingly crops up from time to time but seems to reset itself when i finally get the car started through locking, unlocking and waiting! For the last 3 days the warning light always comes on and I have problems starting it without fail every time. I have worked out though how to get the car started each time it happens.
    1) When the car refuses to start and the service steering column warning appears do nothing at first just remain seated.
    2) Put your key fob in its holding place under the silver swivel plate in front of the armrest.
    3) Wait about 15 seconds and without pressing the clutch press the start/stop button once. When you do this some of the dashboard lights go out apart from the green warning light itself and the handbrake light.
    4) Now you must wait about 1 1/2 minutes after which the green warning light goes out.
    5) Now be patient for another 15 seconds after which you can press the clutch and the start button and the car should start. The warning light may still be present but the car drives as normal.

I am not sure whether to try another new battery or if a Vauxhall dealership may be able to perform a software update of any kind? All I know is that it is very inconvenient and this glitch spoils a very nice car.