Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    1999 Saab 9-3

Seat Belt and Workshop manual

Hello,

I have a 1999 Saab convertible and since I last posted in one of these forums my car has had extensive work done to it. When one thing failed several did and I have a new radiator, water pump, fuel pump, overflow container all costing over 2 thousand dollars. I bought a workshop manual online but it will only open on Windows 2000. I'm not computer illiterate but I don't want to reformat my PC to take Windows 2000. I work primarily on a MAC and the program suggested to use Windows 2000 never worked right for me and I sure would like to get the workshop manual to fix some of the other things going wrong.

Briefly. The convertible top will NOT operate. It worked fine for a few months, the fluid had leaked out and was replaced but it still will not operate. And to top it off, my drivers side seat belt will not pull out. It is stuck and no amount of pulling makes it work. I was told it would cost me $600 to replace it but why can't I just figure out how to fix it. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I love this car. It zips right along. So please don't suggest selling it. I can't do that.

Thank you

Donald

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Quote Originally Posted by DonaldEC View Post
    I bought a workshop manual online but it will only open on Windows 2000. I'm not computer illiterate but I don't want to reformat my PC to take Windows 2000. I work primarily on a MAC and the program suggested to use Windows 2000 never worked right for me and I sure would like to get the workshop manual to fix some of the other things going wrong.
    You can run the Saab WIS through VirtualBox on a Mac with Windows XP or 7 32-bit versions. https://www.virtualbox.org/ It sounds more difficult than it actually is. But you do need a licensed copy of XP/7.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    1999 Saab 9-3
    Thank you. I will give it a try.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    1999 Saab 9-3
    Wulf,

As I did in the past I have Virtualbox on my MAC and it creates a Windows 2000 based computer on the MAC. I can not "see" the files for the Saab manual. I go to My Computer on the screen then Documents and nothing but the files are indeed on the Mac. I go to where the VirtualBox is situation on my main drive and see the file in the Windows 2000 folder and I still can not see it on the VirtualBox.. This is a true Saab story. Any ideas?

Donald

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Do you have your home directory (or the directory where you have the Saab WIS setup files saved) on your Mac shared in VirtualBox under Settings / Shared Folders? If you don't have a shared directory set up, you won;t be able to see and access it in your W2000 virtual machine.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    1999 Saab 9-3
    So far I have had no success with the Virtual Box seeing the files that I want it to see in the shared folder. I will continue trying to accomplish this. I have downloaded and read the relevant parts of Virtual Box owner manual and it tells me what to do and I do it and still nothing. I will attempt to delete all virtual box pieces and reinstall to see if that does anything. perhaps it needs to be fresh..I hope that works as I really need the information.