Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

Saab(s)
    2005 linear wagon,5spd trans

Starter switch?????

Hi.
    I'm new to the forum and I'm seeking advice on an erratic starting problem I've been having with my 2005 9-5 linear wagon with 5 spd. transmission.
    When first starting, the shift lever is in reverse, clutch depressed,key turned to start position and the engine should crank. The past few months though, it's not always the case.
    When the key is turned to the start position, nothing happens. When this first started happening, I'd release the clutch, then depress it again, turn the key and it would crank and start. As time went on, it would take more repetitions of this procedure to get the starter to crank. This led me to replace the starter interrupter switch on the firewall that's activated by the clutch pedal. Same problem. I then switched around starter and ignition relays with like relays in relay box to see if that might be the problem, which it wasn't.
    On the advice of a tech friend of mine I replaced the starter. A fun job even if you have the advantage of a lift, which I did. Still having the same problem and it seems to getting more frequent......to the point now that when I park, I try to park on a hill so that I can at least pop the clutch to get it started. Does not sit well with my wife though.
    All my friends tell me that I'm way too old to be working on my cars and to just buy a new one.
    Can't bring myself to do it. I've owned it since new and there's only 89K 0n the clock.
    Could the problem be in the ignition switch itself?
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

Saab(s)
    2009 9-3 2.0T SC Aero XWD\eLSD. eSID2
    Welcome to the SaabWorld

As turning the ignition key is a part of the "procedure", it could be the culprit. What you could do, as the problem now is more frequent, is to make a measurement of the voltage from the switch to the starter relay coil.

Voltage distribution is battery - fuse #4, maxi fusebox - ignition key - fuse #30, instrumentpanel - starter relay coil. Check the voltage on fuse #30 when the key is turned to "START" - if no joy the problem is most likely the ignition switch.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    SAAB 9-5 2002 ARC
    If you leave your foot on the clutch and turn the key to off then to start repetitively will it crank? im thinking one of the connector plugs associated with the computer is coroded. try "working" any plug assoiated with the clutch and starting system. clutch switch. ignition key. main computer connector.