Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    '95 9000 Aero, '98 9000 CSE, '05 9-5, '11 9-4X

How to get inside rear lift gate?

One of the license plate screw inserts in the rear lift gate has gone TU. It just spins and thus the screw can't be removed.

Seems I'll have to get behind the vinyl inside cover. How is it removed?

jack vines

What did you find out? I have a bad rear outside opening switch.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joel H View Post
    What did you find out? I have a bad rear outside opening switch.
    Still haven't gotten inside the lift gate. I was able to replace the stick-on tabs without removing the spinning insert. Someone must have had to get in there. Maybe he'll be along someday.

jack vines

inside panel

Quote Originally Posted by packardv8 View Post
    Still haven't gotten inside the lift gate. I was able to replace the stick-on tabs without removing the spinning insert. Someone must have had to get in there. Maybe he'll be along someday.

jack vines
    Name:  SAAB 9-4x inside rear door panel.jpg
Views: 550
Size:  38.6 KB

Here's a picture of the insider rear door panel -- I finally took it off to get a look at my rear door handle (center light). I don't know if this is high-res enough for you to see where the pop-off connectors are located. The two at the top (by the window) on the outside were the trickiest -- I didn't break anything.

As to the door handle, since the part is not longer available (except without the backup camera), I'm not sure what I'm going to do.

The inside of the license plate screws are easy to access and hold in place.

Joel

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    94-x
    Hi Joel, just checking back on this thread.... I have a similar problem. My Saab 9-4x has no power to the lift gate. I did find the board sitting in water so I ordered a new board, plugged it in and still no power. Someone said that I need to have the board reprogrammed but you'd think I'd still get power to it. All the fuses look fine. So frustrating because the car is in such good condition! Let me know if you have any ideas. Thank you for the great photo!

Back hatch

Quote Originally Posted by jtaustin20 View Post
    Hi Joel, just checking back on this thread.... I have a similar problem. My Saab 9-4x has no power to the lift gate. I did find the board sitting in water so I ordered a new board, plugged it in and still no power. Someone said that I need to have the board reprogrammed but you'd think I'd still get power to it. All the fuses look fine. So frustrating because the car is in such good condition! Let me know if you have any ideas. Thank you for the great photo!
    Yes, you need to have it “linked” or reprogrammed to the car with the computer the dealer or shop has. I had the leak in my roof seam fixed and let the box dry out and it worked when the shop reprogrammed it

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    FWIW, when I removed the rear panel with the help of my auto body guy, we broke a couple of the plastic clips. He said, "Yeah, that's why we keep a drawer full of them."

Then, the crap GM lift gate touch switch failed for the second time, so I've got to go in there again.

jack vines