Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

Saab(s)
    Hopeful Buyer

Im looking to buy an '06, or '07 Saab, But I have a few concerns?

Hey Everyone, I joined this forum because I need some help with purchasing a used Saab. I am currently looking for a car, and I have been going to used car dealerships all around, and I have fallen in love with 2 Saab 9-3s. One of them is an '07 Saab 9-3 4D 2.0t, and the other is an '06 with the same specs (I think). Im on a budget as this is my first car, and the two of them both have a reasonable price I think (07 is 5k and the 06 is 3k). But what people are telling me and what I have read, is that these cars can be a nightmare if I don't get the right one. Ive been told repairs and parts are expensive and hard to come by, and what I have read so far is that with the mileage these two have on them, by now there has got to be a few things i should look out for. So my question is, should I go for a different car if Im weary of spending alot on repairs? And what can I do to assure myself that this car is in good condition and can go a year or two without any major problems? Are Repairs and parts all that tough to find, or what am I looking at getting myself into?

P.S Both cars I believe have around 120k miles on them

Thanks ahead of time!

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Finding parts usually isn't a problem as there are many suppliers available online. Local part stores should have the regular wear items available or they can order them. Finding a garage for regular repair work shouldn't be that difficult either but having a Saab service center nearby would be convenient.

If you're on a budget and looking for you first car, getting a Saab (or any other European car) with 100K+ miles probably isn't a good idea. Unless you can do most repair and service work yourself. The '06 model year was the last year with the fiber-optic infotainment system which can be difficult to troubleshoot and upgrade. '07 has a know issue with the intake valves and that can be a very expensive repair. http://saabworld.net/f146/hard-start...-3-b207-28085/

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3SS Black/6spd w/ Nav
    I've owned my '06 since July 2013. I have a love/hate relationship with her. It feels bulletproof and indestructible most days but then on the bad days I want to trade her in for a Hyundai. Mine has 106k and has went through 3 owners. I'm in need of front brake pads/314mm ($30 set), tie-rod ends ($20/pc), front struts ($150/pc), spark plugs ($3/pc-$20/pcx6), a new front spoiler ($250-you will hit a curb stop even if you keep telling yourself don't hit a curb stop), rear shocks ($90/pc), possibly inner tie-rods (cheap, too). These cars are for people that can fix them and don't mind slapping on a little duct tape and dealing with a little craziness every few months. You can see that the maintenance items are just as cheap as any other vehicle out there. Try repairpal.com or app and check different repair prices. The one thing I dread besides a blown engine, is a burned out clutch. A lot more than most to replace. And I don't have the skills, time, patience, or tools to do it myself. Good days=smooth power, secure handling with clutch engaging perfectly (it's weird this is always weather dependent-the turbo doesn't like suckin' in moist, humid air but it loves 60-70 degrees) Bad days=Bouncy, wandering, noticeable decrease in torque, small detonation, bite point changed, clutch return slower--It just feels like a different car. I've had a coolant reservoir crack ($120-they should give them away) and it was also disabled in my driveway for 2 months until I did enough troubleshooting to figure out my battery cut-off switch was BAD. Not just bad-BAD from all the turbo/exhaust heat and battery corrosion. This created a no crank condition. Bottom line: This car is good looking, different, fast (faster w/JZW/Maptun), has a great radio for dubstep and bass with the prestige 300, a lot of airbags (youtube saab 9-3 crash test), and it's a SAAB (Swedish Aeroplane Company Limited).

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2t
    About a month ago, I was in your shoes. I blew out an audi A4 engine and was desperately looking for a car, even though I'm putting in another engine in the A4. In my search I found a 2006 9-3 2.0 turbo with 110000 miles on it. Prior to anything I did a lot of research on the 9-3, just like you, I had to think about money which was going to be shelled out, and I have a personal preference for "better" cars.Well, I purchased the 9-3. Quite honestly it's fast, dependable and it looks great. Don't get me wrong, your gonna have to get your hands dirty but you won't have to sell your first born. Thanks to this site and the Internet in general, everything seems to have an answer and it's not as complicated as it may seem. In a nutshell, I'm enjoying my new toy, it's faster, extremely dependable and has great gas mileage.
    And yes I've dirtied my hands a little, but I'm really satisfied with my purchase. Now it's true every car will give slightly different results, but I believe in looking at numbers; and in this case the good numbers definitely out weigh the bad
    Good luck whichever way you go

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    08/280/xwd & 09/210/xwd
    Be wary of the 2.0 engine in the late years like 07' and such.. There are many failures of the valves in this group and the repair is about $2,000. If you are on a limited budget, these cars are more expensive than a say Toyota for parts and repairs,

Very importantly, an average mechanic can't work on the car and may send you packing to a former dealer because you need access to the Tech II system of GM and most don't have it; this is because you have to "marry" a lot of components to the ECU of the car.

Be sure you buy it at the right price. Also, look for an Aero because it has the 6 cylinder engine. Are these cars at a discount car lot or private owners?
    Last edited by tunnanxwd; 12 March 2015 at 12:12.
    Semper ubi sububi in caput tuum

Jim
    Saab(s)
    2005 9-3 aero convertible, lime yellow metallic
    Fairly new to the saab world myself. Love the look and the fact that you are not driving something everyone else has. Great info on the forums as well as youtube for small repairs. Most likely the car won't leave you on the side of the road but you may need to learn to do little repairs yourself such as replacing HID headlights. Cheap money for what you get compared to the alternatives. I picked up a mint condition 2005 9-3 aero cabrio for a little over $8000 with 94k miles. Few weird things like the gas gauge freaking out from time to time and check engine light coming on from what was a faulty gas cap. Any car under $10k won't be trouble free. Parts appear to be readily available on the web. Many things on eBay. Prices don't appear to be any more or less than any other car I have owned. Good idea to find a good local shop that deals with European cars....these are NOT toyotas (but keeping this in mind, you won't be the cause of any wreck like most toyotas usually are. ��). I am lucky here near cleveland where we have 2 top notch shops close to my house that specialize in high end exotics but don't charge any more than the local Midas shop. Time will tell if I'll be longing for my vw again but so far I love my lime yellow 9-3 cabrio!

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    08/280/xwd & 09/210/xwd
    Eadie21, our Saab's have left me and the family along side or the road a number of times. From our classic 900, 9000s and the newer generation 9-3's they have required tows and rescue rides home. The only one that didn't was our 1995 900. That car always seemed to have a mystery warning light but never quit running, the others would stop cold.

For once my wife agrees with me. We are keeping our 1998 Volvo XC in reserve for when the Saab's go in the shop.

My buddy who was a long time VW GTI owner, having had one of each series, said that VW had finally worn out it's welcome and it started costing him an arm and leg (the last two cars), along with poor dealer service.

Regarding working on the car yourself, even my indie has sent me packing to the dealer, some things like changing out an ignition switch have required a Tech II computer to "marry" the part to the car.
    Semper ubi sububi in caput tuum