Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    1992 900 N/A

Drove a MY99 95 yesterday Considering buying it

took the time to go see the car yesterday.

let me first start with a sincere apology; I didn't realize the 9-5 Wagon was soooooooo much Saab. Those cars are Saabs and from what I am reading the 9-5 is just about the Best car EVER Built by Saab. I am learning they got everything right on that car (9-5).

As a matter of fact, once you stick your head in the cabin it Smells JUST like a Saab.

That said, the black 99 9-5 is a lil rough but it has lots of well builtness left in it. I was amazed how solid the suspension is. no creeks, bangs, or clunks...

I also realized the car is madd quiet

So I can prolly get the car for $650 or $700.

Bad:

1. Brake line in rear passenger side seem to have rusted out. it needs a hardline replacement; car barely stops.. I read this was a common problem with 99 9-5
    2. Small bit of rot at the seem of the rear passenger door
    3. Small rot on driver rear window in the cargo area. It seems where the water runs around the window frame (side rear most window) it pools at the bottom and seems to have penetrated the paint and has a lil bubbling going on their...
    4. Dash SID display pixel needs repairing
    5. Temp adjustment for passenger side is stuck on 85 degrees (or maybe its 82 degrees not sure)
    6. Wood dash inlay is cracked at the shifter and near the side (would require a replacement dash) but 9-5s are plenty in the yards here so should be an easy swap
    7. Some hack welded straight pipe underneath. Seems like a muffler was deleted and so the car needs some exhaust work
    8. Driver door window off track
    9. I am not versed enough on these models to determine if it has the latest crank case vent set up so my indy will confirm this for me...

The good:

engine is strong powerful
    suspension seems solid
    no check engine light
    no other mode lights on
    inside is very tidy except the dash issues
    Body is pretty solid except rot at bottom of rear passenger door
    THE WIFE ACTUALLY LIKES IT. WANTE ME TO BU IT YESTERDAY BUT I HELD BACK UNTIL I CAN CLARIFY WHAT I DONT KNOW

So what do you think; is it worth saving or too rough and keep my money and keep looking...

One question; car has a turbo, but no APC gauge on the dash; what does that mean; LPT?

besides the body work; how DIY is the brake line replacement and other little niddlies I listed above..

Thanks for you help.....

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    I have never owned a 900 or 9000 but always thought the 9-5 and 900/9-3 have that same quality feel. The interiors are usally very nice when they haven't been abused, even after 150K+ miles. When I bought my first 9-5 (2001 2.3t), I definitely noticed that great smell of the interior as well and reminds of a nice vintage combination of oil, wax and leather. It usually is difficult to convince the die-hard vintage Saab crowd about the GM-Saabs but I think they often are surprised when they do check them out.

1999 was the first model year of the 9-5 in the US but it was introduced in 1998 in Europe. So it's an early model but not a first-year's model.

1. Not familiar with brake line replacements on the 9-5 but doesn't seem any different than any other car.

4. Dash SID pixels is a common problem. I think fixing is pretty easy or you can send it to a repair place to have it done for not much money.

6. Easy to replace both the dash and shifter piece and the wood dashes are easy to find on eBay.

8. Probably needs a new window roller. Easy and cheap fix. http://saabworld.net/f29/green-windo...aab-9-5-a-163/

LPT means Low Pressure Turbo so it's a 2.3t (lower case t). This engine has the Garrett GT17 turbo which usually lasts for about 100 - 150K miles until the seals start to leak. Remanufactured turbo's are not that expensive and replacement is not that difficult. 170hp is not a lot of power but still not bad as you experienced.

If you decide to buy it, definitely start with lifting the valve cover and dropping the sump to check for sludge and make sure the oil intake screen is not clogged.

$700 seems like a good deal. You mentioned the engine feels fine ad pulls strong so that's a good start. How many miles are on it?

Saab Enthusiast CaptainMediocre's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    2007 Saab 95 2.3T Sedan
    You can buy a car for less than I paid for my tires.

Saab(s)
    01 95 Aero and Wagon, 09 93 Combi and an 08 95 Combi
    Sounds like a New England car with way too much rust to consider. You can always fix a motor, rust-not so much. For any price that car seems like a piece of junk. My guess; you will regret it. Good luck either way.

Saab(s)
    86 SPG, 88 SPG, 91 SPG, 88 SiS, 89 900T, 96 900 SE CV, 96 Aero, 00 9-3 SE CV, 90 JetPack, 94 CE
    I would suggest you do a little more shopping and comparing before you pull the trigger. I have been seeing a lot of 9-5 wagons, in the 2 - 4k price range, that are arguably in better condition.

You will probably have close to the same amount invested, after the repairs and the car will still not be in the overall condition of the ones that I have been seeing for sale.

Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    I was going to suggest to keep looking. (I have my 04 9-5 wagon with a new rebuilt motor and turbo on Kijiji.ca for sale right now for $2ooo.)
    I'm no trying to sell it to you but check the add and let me know if it makes you want to buy it. https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details...dId=1052708318
    I think I wrote a good add...
    Note that vintage of Saab has the light turbo. Newer like 03 + have the bigger TURBO!
    finding41
    Marty Jackson
    www.northchannelcharters.com

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    1992 900 N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Finding41 View Post
    I was going to suggest to keep looking. (I have my 04 9-5 wagon with a new rebuilt motor and turbo on Kijiji.ca for sale right now for $2ooo.)
    I'm no trying to sell it to you but check the add and let me know if it makes you want to buy it. https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details...dId=1052708318
    I think I wrote a good add...
    Note that vintage of Saab has the light turbo. Newer like 03 + have the bigger TURBO!

yeah I know these tidbits. guy called me last and wants 600 now or he is gunna junk it.

seems like a lot of car fort he money and s few cosmetic corrections

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    1992 900 N/A
    I would change the seats to red.

LPT would be fine as I don't go anywhere fast and no hills where I live

jury still out, but for 600 and all I need is a brake line and a proper exhaust it's tempting.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    1992 900 N/A
    for it to be a decent runner it needs the following

rear passenger brake line
    correct the hack job on the exhaust
    swap out wood veneer dash for another (tons in junk yards)
    sort out the lil rot on passenger rear door.

I could Polly do all above for about $500. so we talking 1100.00

oh and I would also strip the tint and put on a couple shades lighter.
    mop and polish the whole car..

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    1992 900 N/A
    the rot is just ahead of the tire at the lowest point on the body between where the door meets the body and the tire. you can really see it in this picture.

this is also the same side in rear that has the bad brake line.