Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

Saab(s)
    2008 Saab 9-5 2.3T

Lightbulb Opinions and Wisdom Please! 2008 Saab 9-5

Hello, Im planning on purchasing my second vehicle. A 2008 Saab 9-5 2.3t (74,296 Miles) I initially wasn't looking for a Saab even though Ive always thought they were interesting, but when I took the car off the lot today I was so surprised how amazing it was, More comfortable and faster than any of the BMW's Ive test drove and ridiculously fuel efficient. So here is the deal I would like to know what im getting my self into. Initially the vehicle was up for $10,000 its from a used car lot. I've gotten the salesman down to $8,900 agreeing I'll change the front brakes and replace a running light. Everything seems to work I haven't taken it to my mechanic yet but mechanically it seems fine. No noises other than clicking from the engine bay which sounds maybe like valves or lifters, the radio for some reason wont hit certain frequencies and Ive noticed that after driving at higher RPMS I smell rotten eggs, like a rich fuel mixture or bad converter. Also the carfax is clean. 2 owners, no accidents or reported major repairs.

So I would appreciate some wisdom,
    Is this vehicle at a good price?
    Are there upcoming major parts that should be replaced?
    Is the vehicle running rich or in need of a catalytic converter?
    Anything else I should look for?
    Is there a chance this vehicle will turn me into a Saab enthusiast?

Here's the listing they're not the best dealer, but your typical used car deal. I've heard good and bad.

Saab(s)
    01 95 Aero and Wagon, 09 93 Combi and an 08 95 Combi
    I have an 08 Wagon with 45000. Steering line failed otherwise no issues. It is a a very good car.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Is this vehicle at a good price?

The price seems right for this year and miles.

Are there upcoming major parts that should be replaced?

74K miles is still low. With regular maintenance, it should last for a long time. It's not uncommon to see 9-5 with 200K+ miles. This model and engine have been around for many years and they fixed most of the issues for >= 2004.

Is the vehicle running rich or in need of a catalytic converter?

Not sure what could be the issue. The clicking sound seems a bit unusual. Is it really noticable even when the hood is closed?

Anything else I should look for?

Just inspect it like any used car. They are usually reliable and you get a lot of car for the money.

Is there a chance this vehicle will turn me into a Saab enthusiast?

Absolutely!

Saab Enthusiast CaptainMediocre's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    2007 Saab 95 2.3T Sedan
    Like all Saabs its going to need a new direct ignition cassette soon, around $300-$400 unless you find a good deal. Only ever buy the genuine one, never buy the cheaper off brand. Luckily you can easily replace it yourself, its about 1.5 minutes worth of work.

If you are in a snowy area the flex pipe in the exhaust could be ready to rot through and the muffler might be close.

Here are the things I ended up having to deal with over the past 2 years from 80,000 miles to 143,000 miles:
    Ignition Cassette and spark plugs
    Throttle body+tech2 programming
    flex pipe and muffler
    oil pressure sensor (leak)
    oil box and a few PCV hoses (oil leaks)
    oil pump/crank shaft seal (oil leaks)
    valve cover gasket (oil leaks)

I voluntarily replaced:
    all 4 shocks
    all 4 rotors
    brake pads all around
    tires
    wheels and winter tires
    air filter

The car is great though, drives great, I even auto-cross it. If you love the car, get it. Just accept that when it needs something you will have to put some money into it. I've found its a lot easier putting money into a car you actually like rather than one you hate. If you take care of it properly it will be a great car for a long time, I can personally attest to this up to at least 143,000 miles. This is a record for me, to have had a car for over 2 years and am not ready to get rid of it yet.

Saab(s)
    2008 Saab 9-5 2.3T
    Thank you for the info guys. Everyone is telling me to stay away from it because its a SAAB but I think I need to make my own choice. Just wondering how hard is it to find parts? (I work at a parts store and can't even get my hands on some items) Also, if the cat is bad, how likely is it to be the first or second? Also if it is, should I run a "cat-free" down pipe or replace it with OEM. Im still skeptical on the price and the fact it smells like rotten eggs at high rpms.

Saab Enthusiast CaptainMediocre's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    2007 Saab 95 2.3T Sedan
    Eeuroparts.com will have every part you are going to need. Not sure about the cat, depending on your local inspection laws you may not be able to remove it, in which case an oem or suitable replacement would be needed.

Desmond Khoo
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2006 9-5 2.0t
    I have a 2006 9-5 with 190k kms now. Have owned it for the past 3 years.

What i've changed so far

1) Radiator (cracked and dumped all coolant on the road)
    2) Coolant expansion tank (cracked)
    3) Ignition cassette
    4) Shocks + strut mounts (all 4 shot)
    5) Water pump (leak)
    6) Subframe and control arm bushes (all shot/cracked)

Issues i have now is a intermittent ACC issue where it goes to defrost mode in the morning! (There's no winter where i am) Planning to change the outside temperature sensor even though the SID displays correctly.

Parts are a little difficult to find for me as I'm in Malaysia. I source my parts from US or UK depending which is cheaper. Don't see an issue where you are

des