Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2004 Saab 9-5 Arc Wagon

Rotten Antenna

Hello Folks,

So, my antenna needs serious replacing. I have tossed around buying a dummy antenna $(10), and/or a cover up ($30). Does the antenna provide radio reception? Thanks.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    No, the radio antennas are in the rear window (sedan) or side windows (wagon). The shark fin on top was used for a mobile phone/GPS (and perhaps Onstar) but not for the radio. Replacing with a dummy will be fine.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2004 Saab 9-5 Arc Wagon
    Thanks, Wulf.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2004 Saab 9-5 Arc Wagon
    Quote Originally Posted by Wulf View Post
    No, the radio antennas are in the rear window (sedan) or side windows (wagon). The shark fin on top was used for a mobile phone/GPS (and perhaps Onstar) but not for the radio. Replacing with a dummy will be fine.
    Hey Wulf! Before I start peeling off this rotten rubber, I noticed that there Is a metal antenna underneath, identical in shape to the rubber. Is that piece screwed in? Is it straightforward to remove? Thanks.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    This thread has all the information you need for replacing the antenna: http://saabworld.net/f29/saab-9-5-ro...ement-wis-454/

I have never done it myself but doesn't seem too difficult. Good luck!

Saab(s)
    01 95 Aero and Wagon, 09 93 Combi and an 08 95 Combi
    On one of mine I just slobbered a bunch of black silicone all over it and smoothed it out. Looks fine.
    On another I removed it by dropping the side of the headliner, reach in cut the wire and removed the bolt. Then I put a plug in the square hole in the roof with a bunch of silicone sealant. There is a mark on the paint where the thing was, but the car is 15 years old. It's not like it's going to disqualify me from my pending appointment as head of the CIA.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2004 Saab 9-5 Arc Wagon
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brennan View Post
    On one of mine I just slobbered a bunch of black silicone all over it and smoothed it out. Looks fine.
    On another I removed it by dropping the side of the headliner, reach in cut the wire and removed the bolt. Then I put a plug in the square hole in the roof with a bunch of silicone sealant. There is a mark on the paint where the thing was, but the car is 15 years old. It's not like it's going to disqualify me from my pending appointment as head of the CIA.
    I bought this dummy from eBay...

Saab(s)
    01 95 Aero and Wagon, 09 93 Combi and an 08 95 Combi
    Ya, well that's ok too, eh.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2004 9-5 ARC 2.3T wagon
    Nice look !! Whats the part number ??

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2004 9-5 ARC 2.3T wagon
    Here's my (temporary) solution to the awful looking rotting shark tooth -
    Bought a can of plasti-dip from the hardware store. This comes in 4 colors - black, red, yellow and blue.
    Name:  shark tooth antenna repair plasti-dip.jpg
Views: 1072
Size:  47.3 KB

This is the antenna. nasty looking thing. The place where I bought the car a year ago sprayed some rubber coating on it at my request. Discovered they didn't do a very good masking job once I got up on a step ladder to look straight down on the roof. The original rubber is so dried out that bits of it flaked off with barely any effort. The problem with this repair is that because the underlying rubber sheath is in such poor condition its just a matter of time before I Will have to replace the thing. I slipped some pieces of aluminum foil underneath.
    Name:  shark tooth antenna repair nasty.jpg
Views: 1075
Size:  45.0 KB

I used small paint brushes, like what I used to paint model planes when my son was little. If you do it this way, buy a bunch because they won't be any good for anything when you're done.
    1st coat. I found it helped to look down on the part with a light at 90ยบ. The pin holes were more apparent.
    Name:  shark tooth antenna repair 1st coat.jpg
Views: 1144
Size:  48.1 KB

At one point while walking past the table where I had the supplies I kicked the table leg & knocked over the can. The coating ran off the edge of the plastic sheet I had put down. DOH!
    Name:  shark tooth antenna repair oops.jpg
Views: 1051
Size:  51.1 KB

I put on a 2nd coat, and will do a 3rd one 'soon' with a 1" wide brush.