Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

Saab(s)
    9-5 MY08, 900NG '96

Emergency opening of fuel lid

Yesterday evening I went to fill my Saab 9-5 2008, but the lock on the lid covering the fuel filler cap wouldn't open... I eventually managed to push the locking pin back, using a narrow, surgical plier. Is there a emergency release of the lid hidden somewhere in the trunk, and if so: how do I access it??

And next question: how to fix the lock? Since i manueally pushed it back, it has stayed unlocked..

Best regards

Jakob

Saab(s)
    01 95 Aero and Wagon, 09 93 Combi and an 08 95 Combi
    Check your owners manual. There is an emergency line behind the door you access from the trunk. However I dont think the 08 had a locking door. At least mine does not. Maybe the EU has one.

Saab(s)
    9-5 MY08, 900NG '96
    @Mike: The manual doesn't mention any emergency line, and i can't see anything in the trunk.

Saab(s)
    2009 9-3 2.0T SC Aero XWD\eLSD. eSID2
    Applies for the sedan only, would be seen close to the rear light and levelled with it. The estate (wagon) doesn't have.

To get access to the solenoide (lock) would be an easy task in case of a sedan, however requires the procedure petaining to the estate removal of qiute some covers and trims.

Saab(s)
    9-5 MY08, 900NG '96
    It is an sedan. I have looked everywhere in the trunk, but ther isn't any emergency lines in my 2008 sedan...

Saab(s)
    2009 9-3 2.0T SC Aero XWD\eLSD. eSID2
    Go'aften

A drawing and removal procedure from the WIS, regarding the fuel filler flap:

Name:  9-5 4D MY08 Lock unit, filler flap.jpg
Views: 3390
Size:  28.2 KB

To remove

1. Open the hatch with the handle in the luggage compartment.
    2. Remove the mat inside the fuel tank filler flap.
    3. Unscrew the nut inside the fuel tank filler flap.
    4. Unplug the connector on the lock unit and remove the lock.

The solenoid OEM P/N is 5364294.

Roger Cook
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2008 9-5 Aero, 2006 9-3SC 2.0T, 2000 Viggen 'vert, SAAB Quantum, 2000 9-5 retired at 318K miles
    Nope! No emergency fuel door release on the 2008 models, and maybe not the 2006 and '07s either. The fuel door does lock and unlock with the driver's side front door (stand beside the fuel door and listen as you press the unlock button). The ignition key will work to retract the locking pin if the solenoid ever fails with other tools not available.

Saab(s)
    9-5 MY08, 900NG '96
    Quote Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
    Nope! No emergency fuel door release on the 2008 models, and maybe not the 2006 and '07s either. The fuel door does lock and unlock with the driver's side front door (stand beside the fuel door and listen as you press the unlock button). The ignition key will work to retract the locking pin if the solenoid ever fails with other tools not available.
    Thanks Roger - Youre right - there isn't any emergency handle to open the fuel door. I used a small surgical Piang to push the locking pin back. It has stayed back since....

Jakob