Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2004 9-5 Arc; 2002 9-5 Aero

need correct routing of turbo coolant pipe

Something isn't right here but I don't know what it is. I am wrapping up a head gasket repair and re-installed the coolant pipe from the turbo to the drivers side of the cylinder head. I did not remove or loosen the fitting where it attaches to turbo. When I got it all together, the coolant pipe, when attached to the head, routes under the coolant hose that goes to the coolant bypass valve, but sits slightly higher than the bottom of the hose, resulting in the hose slightly compressed and resting on the pipe. Also, the coolant pipe is touching the coolant temperature sensor (the part with the blue connector in the picture). And, the coolant hose that routes up to the throttle body seems a bit short because the coolant pipe is tilted downward (and under the hose to the CBV). This does not look right. But, the coolant pipe bolted right on and the supporting clamp at the front of the block positioned as it should on that bracket. I do not remember what it looked like when I took it apart. I am re-installing all the same parts that came off.

When I took it all apart, I removed the clamp and the banjo, then let the pipe drop down with the turbo when I took it loose. This pipe is pretty sturdy, so I don't think I bent it during removal. I tried slightly bending it to route it over the top of the coolant hose to the exp. tank (as it is on my 2004 9-5 2.3T Arc), but it does not bend easily. This one is a 1999 9-5 SE with the 2.3t. The coolant pipes are different part numbers for the two cars - looks like 1999 had a unique part and 2000+ were the same.

Does anyone have a picture or know how this is coolant pipe is supposed to route off the cylinder head? I can "put it together", but I know these touching components are not right or good - they are going to rub and eventually leak.

Thanks everyone.

Name:  coolant pipe.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  47.8 KB
    Last edited by bobthebuilder; 29 March 2015 at 03:02.