Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    1988 T16s Notchback & 1990 900 Turbo 16v Aero

Steering wheel play - back and forth.

Hi all,

I seem to have suddenly developed some play in my steering mechanism that allows me to move my steering wheel back and forth some 10mm.

The result is that the horn electrical connection and indicator stalk cancelling stops working when the steering wheel is pull towards the driver. A gentle pressure resits the wheel and both work again.

The wheel mechanism stops solidly at either end of the travel.

Has anyone seen this before? Could it be play in the universal joint at the end of the steering shaft?

Thanks.

Paul A
    Saab Nut
    Saab(s)
    T16 '93 Ruby - T16 '94 Vert Ruby
    I assume you mean in and out rather than side to side. In and out sounds like the UJ clamp to the steering rack may be loose. If so you should be able just to get a socket on it to tighten. Just a chance than the steering wheel is loose on the shaft spline. Take the wheel centre cover off to check nut. If the wheel is loose side to side the bush at the top of the column is worn and will need replacing.

Jeffrey
    Master SaabTech/Moderator Burnsside42's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    Common problem in c900 - the steering column has a bearing behind the clock spring that wears out.

ePartsLand - Saab 900 90-93 Upper Steering Shaft Column SPG Turbo
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com