Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Roger Cook
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2008 9-5 Aero, 2006 9-3SC 2.0T, 2000 Viggen 'vert, SAAB Quantum, 2000 9-5 retired at 318K miles

9-3 Blower Motor Replacement

Blower Motor:
    Do you have Automatic Climate Control (you dial in a specific temperature) or do you have Manual Climate control (select from cooler to hotter)? The two systems use a different blower motor so you need to order the correct one. My wife's 9-3SC has ACC and I could not find any Saab branded ACC blowers at the typical Saab specialty parts houses, however they did have Saab branded MCC blowers. I have read that Valeo is the original manufacturer of the Saab branded blowers so they are as good as buying the Saab brand - better since they usually cost much less!

Generally speaking, you will want a ball head Torx driver in T20 size and a battery powered headlamp for this job. Start to finish last Sunday was about an hour for a 59 year old who had done this job once before - too recently.

1) Run passenger seat all the way to the rear.
    2) Pull off plastic trim piece on the passenger end of the dash. (on the driver's side this same piece covers the fuse block).
    3) Open glove box and remove two screws in upper corners and one screw on inside rear of glove box.
    4) Close glove box and remove two screws in the lower corners beneath the glove box door. Remove glove box half way, disconnect wires to glove box lamp and hose to glove box air vent. Remove box entirely.
    5) Remove console side cover in passenger foot well. There is one screw about even with front of fully rearward seat. The panel then slides down and rearward(?) to remove. Just tug gently and it will come free.
    6) Remove the panel that forms the top of the passenger footwell. There is one screw now visible that is threaded into the console and one that threads into the bottom of the blower motor (visible after removing the glove box). The screw going into the blower motor is in a deep recess making it tough to see. You will also need to disconnect the wires going to the courtesy light attached to this panel prior to removing it.
    7) Remove an air duct that is held to the bottom of the motor. Our car had only one screw but I saw the duct actually had a second screw mounting tab so yours may have two. After these screw(s) are removed you need to pull the duct free from the white plastic HVAC chamber taking up the center of the dash. It is only pushed onto a rhombus shaped duct connector and pops off with a little tug.
    8) Disconnect the electrical connector supplying power to the side of the blower assembly.
    9) Remove the seven screws securing the fan & motor assembly to the upper fan scroll. Some of these are tough to access, look at your new blower assembly to know where they are located. With all seven screws removed the blower is still held up by three plastic snaps/hooks around perimeter of blower assembly (these are a God Send when installing the new blower!). Unclip these and blower will drop free, rotate it around so that it falls free and into the footwell.
    10) Remove the variable speed controller from the old blower, two T20 screws. All demo is now complete!
    11) Reverse above series of steps to install new blower.

Based on my experience, only buy a Saab or Valeo part. I cheaped out the first time and bought a cheaper Nordic brand that looked identical but was obviously a second. It never fit properly, was very noisy, and failed early due to a bad bushing (I found the bronze shavings). The Uro blowers do not even look the same as the Saab/Valeo part. Heaven help anyone who buys one of those.

Saab(s)
    9-3 Convertible (2008)

variable speed controller

Hi MI Roger

Thank you for your article explaining how to remove/replace the Saab blower motor. It was very clear and accurate!

I managed to remove my blower motor relatively easily. However, the original variable speed controller unit does not fit back onto my new blower motor (Valeo). This is because on my old motor there is a square shaped hole/recess which allows the end of the controller (where there are 3 one inch long grooves) to sit in it so it is flush. There is no hole/recess in my new motor and therefore the controller does not fit onto it. Do you have any advice what I need to do in this situation?

Many thanks

Ian

Roger Cook
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2008 9-5 Aero, 2006 9-3SC 2.0T, 2000 Viggen 'vert, SAAB Quantum, 2000 9-5 retired at 318K miles
    Quote Originally Posted by Dobbo View Post
    Hi MI Roger

Thank you for your article explaining how to remove/replace the Saab blower motor. It was very clear and accurate!

I managed to remove my blower motor relatively easily. However, the original variable speed controller unit does not fit back onto my new blower motor (Valeo). This is because on my old motor there is a square shaped hole/recess which allows the end of the controller (where there are 3 one inch long grooves) to sit in it so it is flush. There is no hole/recess in my new motor and therefore the controller does not fit onto it. Do you have any advice what I need to do in this situation?

Many thanks

Ian

http://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/3082...otor-13250117/

I believe the part pictured in the link above is what you require. This is the motor for non-ACC equipped cars, note the large square hole in the bottom of the fan scroll near the discharge end. This part is usually less expensive than the blower assembly you recently purchased. Check with your part supplier regarding a return/exchange if the pictured part is the fan you require.

Roger

Roger Cook
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    > Ian -
    >
    > From comparing photos of speed controllers for cars equipped with Automatic Temperature Control and fans for cars without this option, it appears the non-ACC system equipped cars use a controller with three protrusions from the controller housing while the ACC system speed controller uses one square opening.
    >
    > Do you set cabin temperature on your car by dialing in a specific numerical temperature on the dash, or by selecting a setting between Cold and Hot? A specific temperature means your car has ACC.
    >
    > I believe you have the wrong motor. The non-ACC motors, also called MCC for Manual Climate Control, have a single large square opening in the bottom side of the fan scroll near where the air leaves the fan. The ACC motors do not have this opening.
    >
    > I believe you have an ACC motor (no large square hole) but have a MCC equipped car (which requires the large square hole for the speed controller).
    >
    > Contact the seller and ask for an exchange. Or maybe the wrong unit was in the box, I had that happen earlier this summer with the fuel pump for my 9-5.
    >
    > Roger
    >

Roger Cook
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    Ian -

I had another thought this morning. Since you live in one of the few global markets with Right Hand Drive cars you may only have access to one style of fan motor. Look at the scroll on the blower motor you received to see if there is a punch-out or marked cut-out where the MCC speed controller is to be located. You may need to do one more step, cut your own opening, if there are obvious markings where to do this. It is easier to cut out a marked hole than to fill in a factory provided hole. Saab Parts Co may have elected to make and stock only one version of the fan motor and have the installers create the necessary opening for the MCC speed controller.

Gary
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0T
    Just completed this project yesterday and everything went just as expected, Thanks to MI-Roger and his detailed description of this process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saab Enthusiast lowrider_rt2000's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    2005 Saab 9-3
    My blower motor just stopped working for me today. I checked and my blowers 40amp fuse is still good. I know i have auto temp control. My question is, do I need a blower motor resistor controller regulator or a whole blower unit? The blower didnt give me an indication it was going bad. I can still change temp from hot to cold, get air from outside and switch it to inside and while driving I can feel the heat coming through the vents. I can turn the fan speed to high but it does nothing. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my 9-3

Saab(s)
    2005 Saab 9-3
    Somebody told me I can check to see if my blower motor is bad or if it's an electronic piece by pushing and holding two buttons on my climate control. What do I have to push and hold to see if a code pops up?

Sent from my 9-3

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Quote Originally Posted by lowrider_rt2000 View Post
    Somebody told me I can check to see if my blower motor is bad or if it's an electronic piece by pushing and holding two buttons on my climate control. What do I have to push and hold to see if a code pops up?

Sent from my 9-3
    With a 2005 I'm afraid the infotainment system in your Saab is as useless as mine. It might be fine for telling you what song is playing on your CD, but when it comes to useful service information, distance to empty is as good as it gets. Time to break out the meter and check for voltage.

Saab(s)
    2005 Saab 9-3
    Quote Originally Posted by Digger View Post
    With a 2005 I'm afraid the infotainment system in your Saab is as useless as mine. It might be fine for telling you what song is playing on your CD, but when it comes to useful service information, distance to empty is as good as it gets. Time to break out the meter and check for voltage.
    Mine does not tell me what is playing on the CD player because my CD player doesn't work which is okay cuz I use the auxiliary for my phone anyways.

Sent from my 9-3