Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

Saab(s)
    1999 9-3

1999 9-3 Direct ignition problem

Hi all I have a problem with my dic. Started out one morning on way to work car was lunging and failing so turned around and went home. Decided to try the dic I had in the
    trunk for a time like this. It is a used one, so put it in and car ran fine and normal. After work would not start, spun starter but nothing. On inspection noticed the crank sensor wire had
    rubbed against the manifold and had bare wires. So swapped in a new bosch crank sensor. A dealer had a used dic for $250 bought it and put it in and it started right up and drove home. Next morning no start. Put in the original dic started up and still running but don't trust it. Since the two used ones worked fine but would not restart. Might this be a theft signature with my car? Do they have to be reprogramed?

Dave
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2001 93 2.0Ltr HOT Aero coupe & 2011 1.9TTiD Aero saloon
    Hi
    As a DIYer, I'm thinking between the starts and no starts the only thing your changing is the Di pack. But this has not totally resolved the problem. When changing over the Di packs you're only undoing the four screws, disconnecting the Di pack plug and then reconnecting the plug onto the other Di pack.
    Have you tried tracing back the plug wires and checking for breaks or bad connections?
    I would also try a new set of spark plugs and check the throttle body is clean around the air flap. sometimes these can get a sticky black residue around the flap which can affect the fuel/air mix for ignition. Also check all the rubber vacuum pipes for cracks, splits or holes, and all the stiffer plastic pipes for the same.
    You have not said the engine management light is on, but it may still be worth checking to see if there are any previous fault codes that have not been deleted or any faults stored as pending.
    Hope this helps
    Dave

Saab(s)
    1999 9-3
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave 2 93s View Post
    Hi
    As a DIYer, I'm thinking between the starts and no starts the only thing your changing is the Di pack. But this has not totally resolved the problem. When changing over the Di packs you're only undoing the four screws, disconnecting the Di pack plug and then reconnecting the plug onto the other Di pack.
    Have you tried tracing back the plug wires and checking for breaks or bad connections?
    I would also try a new set of spark plugs and check the throttle body is clean around the air flap. sometimes these can get a sticky black residue around the flap which can affect the fuel/air mix for ignition. Also check all the rubber vacuum pipes for cracks, splits or holes, and all the stiffer plastic pipes for the same.
    You have not said the engine management light is on, but it may still be worth checking to see if there are any previous fault codes that have not been deleted or any faults stored as pending.
    Hope this helps
    Dave
    Thanks for the reply Dave. I installed new plugs, changed the crank sensor and it seems to be running ok with the original Di. The plug wires are about one year old. I will check the throttle body and vacuum hoses. The main issue I have now is a choking when the boost goes into the red. I don't have any codes at present. I read where the boost control valve may be bad, and I think I should try to check the fuel pressure.