Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

Saab(s)
    2002 9-5 Aero

Annoying Alarm & Useless Headlights

So I love my 2002 9-5 Aero. I've had it for almost a year now, and for the past 10,000 miles my theft alarm goes off whenever it pleases for seemingly no reason. Putting the key in the ignition does not disengage the alarm, and I've read the batteries need replacing every 5-6 years. I don't trust myself for this kind of DIY project and can't convince myself to burn a 400$ hole in my wallet, so does anyone have any alternatives for me? It would be greatly appreciated. Also, how do I readjust my auto adjusting headlights? They're pointing a bit too low and I almost always need my high beams on to see at night.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    You can easily remove the alarm unit. It will show an error message on the SID each time you start the car and the only fix is to have the alarm system disabled with Tech2. More info here: http://saabworld.net/f9/alarm-going-off-random-26205/

Instructions for adjusting headlights: http://saabworld.net/f29/saab-9-5-he...lignment-1274/

If you still don't have a good light utput, it may be time to get new bulbs. I assume you have the Xenon lights.

Saab(s)
    2002 9-5 Aero
    Thank you! Your help is appreciated

Ivan
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2003 9-5 Aero Sedan (R.I.P.), 2006 9-5 2.3T Sport, 2008 9-3 Aero SC
    My alarm would go off if I'd forget that my Bluetooth OBD scanner was plugged in, which would drain the battery, tripping the alarm. It wasn't really a common occurrence, but it was annoying nonetheless. As I had to get a key programmed anyway, I asked them to throw in some Tech 2 programming as well, which they did at no extra charge.

My old 2003 9-5 Aero, may she rest in peace, had the alternate DRL programming for position one - where the low beams were off unless the switch was on position 3. This lengthens the life of the HID bulbs so this may be something of interest to you should you go in for Tech 2.

Saab(s)
    2003 Saab 9-5 Linear Wagon, 1989 Saab 900 turbo convertible stick shift
    Wulf's help - as linked above - is always great. Here is another tutorial, a detailed step-by-step approach with photos, just the links are outdated. Getting the alarm out by yourself isn't rocket science, but you have to jack up the car and take the front left wheel off to partly remove the liner of the wheel well. I replaced my batteries and capacitors on a 2003 model with parts for about $14, and it works like a charm. If you shy away from the DIY part, send it in - there are plenty repair services available via Ebay.