Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

Saab(s)
    9-3

SID reports brake light failure, but no bulbs are blown

Hi, I am in a quandary here with my tail lights. Both sides are affected. SID reports brake light failure, turn signal failure and tail light failure but the bulbs are working. This all started about 2 years ago.To fix, I would simply change the bulb and it was fixed. Then it would happen again, then I would get a multiple light failure. I would jiggle a wire or remove the bulb holster or bulb from the socket and the SID report would go away. Now if I do that, it might last a few minutes before the SID would light up!
    I had my mechanic look at it twice already, but he could not find a fuse issue, a bulb issue a corroded pin or anything. The only thing he didn't do is troubleshoot all the wiring.

If you have any ideas on how to fix, hack, or resolve with keen ingenuity, that would be great!

2007 9-3 Sedan

Saab(s)
    2004 9-3 Arc Convertible, 2008 9-3 2.0T
    The cars electronics can predict a lamp failure. Also the sockets can get a bit wonky at times. Failures involving the harness melting are not uncommon. Make sure you are using the correct bulbs in the correct places as frequently the wrong type bulbs get installed and draw too much current causing issues.

Saab(s)
    9-3
    Quote Originally Posted by AVguy View Post
    The cars electronics can predict a lamp failure. Also the sockets can get a bit wonky at times. Failures involving the harness melting are not uncommon. Make sure you are using the correct bulbs in the correct places as frequently the wrong type bulbs get installed and draw too much current causing issues.
    Thank you for your reply. I am passed troubleshooting the bulbs and now I am looking at what else could it be. I am thinking about replacing the bulbs socket plug harness and bulbs holder.