Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    1986 saab 900 turbo

need help 1986 900 turbo no start

Hi I'm new here, just bought a fixer upper 1986 saab 900 turbo hatch
    When I first brought it home I spayed st fluid in the intake and it fierd right up. the previous owner was in the proccess of changing the fuel pump when I got it.
    I put a fuel pump assembly in it and after lots of cranking and some st fluid I got it started, I let it run for 20 mins and turned it off waited 30 min and tried again, still hard starting but did get it to idle again. When i gave it more throttle it would stumble a bit.
    I put it in gear and pulled out of the garge and then back a few times. so I turned it off with the intention of putting some sea foam in it the next day.
    Next day no start, check spark fine, fule pump, fine, changed fuel filter , no change. and now it won't start with fluid either!
    Help!
    Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
    Last edited by rjc; 23 June 2015 at 21:51.

Saab Nut
    Saab(s)
    93 9000 CSE, 85 900T
    Plugs Wet?

Saab(s)
    '04 9-5 Aero Wagon, '90 900
    Read down at the 'Fuel pump didn't fix it' thread for a few more ideas. I had a 9000 that had a bad fuel pump, but would still pump 'some' gas, just enough to make you think it was OK until I did a timed flow test. Unlikely with a new pump, but you never know these days, and it could point to something like a kinked or damaged line somewhere as well. Also,moving away from fuel, can the hall sensor give a partial or intermittent failure?

Saab Nut
    Saab(s)
    93 9000 CSE, 85 900T
    Could be Hall Sensor, but it fires the plugs and he said there is spark.

Saab(s)
    1985 900 Turbo EAG, 1990 SPG Talladega Red
    Considering that you bought the car not running, it could be a whole bunch of things. I won't repeat what I said in the fuel-pump thread mentioned above, except to say:

Get a Bentley manual or download the factory manual. Start doing the diagnostics in the manual.

Don't blame Robert (Bosch) - perhaps superstition, but it is more likely something else, unless the previous owner messed up or damaged Bob's parts.

I think you will like this car a lot - once you get it sorted out.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    1986 saab 900 turbo
    thanks for your suggestions, I replaced the fuel reg it didn't help.
    I poured gas into the intake and it ran for a few seconds. It seems to be a fuel delivery problem.
    I'm going to try another fuel pump.

Paul A
    Saab Nut
    Saab(s)
    T16 '93 Ruby - T16 '94 Vert Ruby
    My instinct says fuel problem. As long as pump is running, even with low pressure it should start. You can hear the pump running by listening at the tank as you try to start it. Check for fuel pressure by loosening a banjo nut at the end of the fuel rail. Fuel should spurt out. If nothing comes out, you've no pressure and probably the pump is not running, but you should hear it as you try to start. You can often coax a faulty pump into life by thumping the bottom of the fuel tank with your fist.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    1986 saab 900 turbo
    Ok Update, got it running. YAY! I replaced the fuel pump relay , and put in a used fuel pump set up with wiring harness , that I bought from a guy in san fransico when I was on vacation.
    I'm going to take it for a ride after dinner and a cigar.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    1986 saab 900 turbo
    first ride, engine runs well , turbo works, wow I was surprised how much power this little car has when the turbo kicks in.
    Bad news is, it pops out of second gear. Is there a way to fix that with out rebuilding the trans?
    thanks to all who took the time to give advice!!!
    Next up, check the brakes, replace the seat leather( bought some seats from the junk yard) . Need a headliner.

Saab Nut
    Saab(s)
    93 9000 CSE, 85 900T
    On the 2nd gear thing.
    Check the motor mounts to insure the motor is held in the proper position. Re align the shifter mechanism.
    Does it feel like you have more engagement in the rearward positions than the forward positions on the shifter?
    New motor mounts and an adjustment to the shift rod got my 85 to hold positive in all gears.

I replaced the material on my headliner and its a quite a time consuming job, but not all that difficult.