Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

Saab(s)
    1986 900 S

Post High Idle

Owner of a 1986 Saab 900, 186,000 miles. Recently my idle has raced to 1500 rpms and I am unable to get it back into the 900's. Cleaned the AIC and throttle: restored some lost power and increased the idle, slightly to 1700 rpms. Where to look next?

wcoze57, USA.

Saab(s)
    '04 9-5 Aero Wagon, '90 900
    I believe many of the high idle issues with these are from vacuum leaks. I'm still chasing leaks on my project car.

Saab(s)
    1986 900 S

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by XLR99 View Post
    I believe many of the high idle issues with these are from vacuum leaks. I'm still chasing leaks on my project car.
    Thanks for your reply. I am a former resident of Cleveland, OH, so this (to me) says exactly what I discovered in my years as a Midwesterner: the people in Ohio are "real" people and carry that "help your neighbor" attitude genuinely.

I have been changing out hoses, one at a time, so that I might isolate the culprit. So I will stick with the process. I have been ordering repair items (30 years old, I can't believe it myself) so I am making this car a project. I am about halfway through hose changes and heading toward the manifold grommets.

Right now I am looking at changing out the brake master cylinder and the hydraulic clutch (hose) cable. By nature I know not a single thing about cars and this is a journey for me. Again, thank you for your help.

wcoze57 (aka Coze)

Saab(s)
    '04 9-5 Aero Wagon, '90 900
    Thanks, I try to do what I can...I'm kind of learning C900s as I go as well. Lots of smart people and knowledge here though. Also, one of your best friends will be a Bentley manual - you can find them on Ebay for 25-30. Well worth it!

Saab(s)
    1986 900 S
    Thanks. Great suggestion, I will get that manual right away. There is a some great guys out there, who are passionate about these Saabs. I get it, they are fun to drive when the car is performing.

See you down Saab Street USA.

Paul A
    Saab Nut
    Saab(s)
    T16 '93 Ruby - T16 '94 Vert Ruby
    Quote Originally Posted by XLR99 View Post
    Thanks, I try to do what I can...I'm kind of learning C900s as I go as well. Lots of smart people and knowledge here though. Also, one of your best friends will be a Bentley manual - you can find them on Ebay for 25-30. Well worth it!
    Take care. Bentley has errors and can be misleading in some areas. But it's a good resource for most stuff.