Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2007 9-5 Aero Sport Combi
    Thumbs Up:   2

CHMSL (3rd brake light) repair

The day we bought our 2011 the CHMSL died on the way home.... . Fortunately I got a great deal on a new one and replaced it today. So I decided I would take the old one apart and see if it could be repaired. There is a pretty significant burned spot on the PCB by 3 of the LEDs and it appears one of the current limiting resistors shorted at one time and allowed those LEDs to overheat. The excessive current fried the transistors that actually control the LEDs. (the picture points out one of the transistors) Electrically the strip of LEDs is divided up into several different circuits which makes sense, so if one component fails the rest of the light should still function, just with a missing segment.

All of the LEDs still functioned when I powered them individually. Repairing the darn thing would be very tedious and would probably involve soldering several short lead wires between the traces to make it one circuit, de-soldering the resistors and transistors, and adding an inline current limiting resistor. If I had to do it again, I will order a 12" red LED strip light from ebay and install it in place of the stock PCB setup.

For under $100 for a new part I dont think it's worth trying to repair.

0 Not allowed!

Saab(s)
    95XWD
    Thumbs Up:   0
    Hello Yamarocket, I have the same problem. 3 LEDS are out. Could you by any chance provide the spare part number and also where you have bought it ? Thanks in advance. Henrik

0 Not allowed!

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2007 9-5 Aero Sport Combi
    Thumbs Up:   2
    I don't have the part number handy but here in the us thesaabsite has the best price. It is under $70 usd.

0 Not allowed!

Saab(s)
    95XWD
    Thumbs Up:   0
    Thanks for quick reply

0 Not allowed!