Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

Saab(s)
    1970 96

Where is the VIN on these cars?

Hi all! I'm new to Saab, not new to fixing up old cars. My current project is a '69 Ford F-250.
    About my new to me Saab. A 1970 96 that if I am to believe the receipt I found under the seat, the car was sold for scrap in 1997. I found it in the Hi Desert here in California. Only thing missing is the radiator but it runs!
    Question I have is where is the VIN on these cars. I have to find it & so nd it to the PO so he knows what paperwork he owes me.
    Thanks in advance.
    Dan

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    I moved your thread to the Workshop forum as it is more likely someone with knowledge about the 96 will see it there. Good luck!

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    There should be a tag on the driver side A-pillar that can be read from outside the vehicle through the windshield. Also, if you pop the hood there is a tag on the firewall, but I'm not confident that one has the VIN on it, but I know it has things like the body paint code and a couple other bits of info.
    Free SaabWorld Stickers
    "Sometimes it is better to travel than it is to arrive." - Robert Pirsig

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    On my quick google searching, I'm not finding that tag in all the pictures... so... uh... good luck.

But here is another view of it. It's that black tab near the bottom of the A-pillar.
    Free SaabWorld Stickers
    "Sometimes it is better to travel than it is to arrive." - Robert Pirsig

Saab(s)
    '69 96, '09 9-5 Aero, '07 9-5 Sportcombi
    On a 95/96, the definitive VIN is punched into the steel below the rear seat cushion, on the driver's side (LHD). The windshield tag *can* be swapped from another car to get a dubious title issued. I only know this because I have such an anomaly.

Saab(s)
    1970 96
    Thanks to everybody who took the time with my search.
    I did find the same number on the windshield tag & on the tag on the door jam, and they both matched. Good enough for me!
    This was just so the guy I bought it from can send me the right paperwork, not that it matters, because this car probably will never see the road again since I plan on building it into a Land Speed racecar.
    The 96 has a pretty aero shape & the fact that it has a flat bottom is a big bonus. It won't move it up a class for having a belly pan!