Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    JEFFleCHEF

Ignition Barrel

Hi, I have a (sometimes) problem, I have to wiggle key to start car, sometimes ok, sometimes have to try a few times, any ideas??
    Also comes up as theft protection system needs checking, think they might be linked.
    Thank you for looking.

Jeff

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    1999 9-5 Wagon; 2001 9-5 Aero ;2007 9-5 Aero
    If its "key not accepted" then you have issues with immobiliser/chip/transponder ring.

I suspect you are probably getting "service theft alarm" messages which is due to a fault on the battery back up siren module circuit,and hence not linked to your ignition issue.
    If so I wouldnt worry about ...loads of fixes around but most of the time they are only temporary.
    I have two 9-5's and have spent far too much time and effort trying to fix the modules...in the end I just disabled the warning message to stop it nagging.

The ignition mechanisim is composed of three parts......transponder ring/key barrel/ignition switch.
    Your problem could be a sticking barrel or a failing ignition switch(fairly common)

There is a guide on here for disassembly and cleaning which is worth doing in the first instance.

http://saabworld.net/f29/ignition-sw...b-9-5-a-26395/