Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2001 9-3

Radio LEDs

I am acquainting myself with my new (old) 2001 9-3 base model, and going about attending the details which always accompany a new car acquisition. I have already replaced a handful of the burned out bulbs in various places, and am looking forward, not without some trepidation, to getting at the ones in the instrument panel. If I end up without any leftover parts once I get it back together, I will consider that something of a miracle.

One of the things I noticed is that the face of the radio is dark, when I would expect it to be lit up. Removing the cover of the radio, I found six LEDs on a larger brown PCB, and one small one on a fairly small PCB card. All of them appear to be toasted, although as a general matter, those devices are supposed to last a very long time.

I can handle the soldering needed to replace them, but I have no idea of what type or value they are. Does anyone know ? Is there a radio repair manual ?

I am asking because of the difficulty involved in getting a radio changed in this car, as a consequence of the whole security arrangement, and I have an aversion to divorces and second marriages. I am told that these are literally the technical terms used to described changing a radio in this car.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2001 9-3
    I need to revise what I wrote above.

The larger PCB, brown on one side, green on the other, which is marked CMKM-P3X, has 6 very small bulbs on it, each of which is encased in green rubber. The holes where the bulbs sit are marked PL101 and so on, and they have no markings on them that I can see. Each bulb has a pair of leads soldered on to the PCB, neatly placed away from other components so that it would be easy to replace them, if only I knew with what.

Is there anyone with access to the radio repair manual ? I ask because another radio I just acquired has the same board and bulbs, which are also burned out. I suspect the same will be true for any other radios of the same vintage.

The device on the small PCB is indeed an LED, but there is no marking or indication on it either.