Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

Saab(s)
    2007 9-3 Aero Sedan

Low Beam Failure but...

Hi. I ran some searches on here but couldn't find an exact match to my issue. Hoping someone can give me some insight. I just started getting a right low beam failure notice on my SID (2007 9-3 Aero Sedan) but it occurs randomly and not during all drives. Sometimes it happens within 1 minute of turning the ignition on, sometimes 3 miles later, and sometimes not all. I already had the dealer change both Xenon lights 2 years ago when the left one had gone out, so I wasn't expecting another replacement anytime soon. This time it's the right side giving me grief but like I mentioned, the bulb is not dead. Has anyone had this issue and any suggestions on what it could be? I'm not a mechanic but I'd like to prepare myself for what's ahead, and perhaps find someone nearby that I can point in the right direction since my closest dealer is over 30 miles away. Many thanks!!

Saab(s)
    2004 9-3 Arc Convertible, 2008 9-3 2.0T
    On the Xenon system you should disconnect the battery before removing any system components or you may run the risk of getting errors with the leveling system.

There are two other components that generally are the cause of Xenon lamp not lighting. They are:

The Ballast module which is mounted to the underside of headlamp assembly. Changing it requires removing the headlight assembly from the car. This also requires removal of the bumper cover (fairly easy). Used ballast's are available on ebay for around $80. Sometimes you can get "new" for around the same money on ebay.

The Ignitor module is the small module that attaches to back of projector where the lamp is installed. Used ignitors on ebay generally fetch $25 - $40.

Try swapping the ignitor from the working side to the non working side. If it solves the issue get another ignitor. If it does not try swapping the ballast and if that solves your issue get another ballast. If neither solves the issue it may be the wiring harness, grounds or some other issue.

Saab(s)
    2007 9-3 Aero Sedan
    Hello AVguy! Thanks for the feedback. I will give your suggestions a try and report back my findings. In the meantime, it is no longer happening randomly but within about 1 min of every start. On a side note, although this case is a bit more complex than just changing the bulb alone, I've learned it to be a crazy concept that the bumper must be removed to change it. I still love and enjoy my 9-3 greatly.