Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Saab(s)
    '04 9-5 Aero Wagon, '90 900
    Interesting! I'll be making sure to get OEM O rings when I get to this point with mine.
    Geo let us know what you find in there!

geosaabb
    Saab(s)
    05..95..280hp....320ft.lbs
    I dropped the oilpan again,discovered really tiny metal pieces about the size of salt grains. So something is grinding away inside,while on my back,I checked to see if anything was loose on the crankshaft,all was good except the connecting rod had side play on #3, the other 3 did not.Is this likely to be my problem,if so, do I change all 4 sets of bearings

geosaabb
    Saab(s)
    I put it all back together,no further ahead.The oil light and red triangle come on after about 30mins.had to rev to about 1500rpm to put them out.I did replace the O rings with genuine saab ones.Strangely enough, the car still goes like a scalded cat.My son suggested that I drive it until it can't.The biggest problem I have is finding a mechanic that knows Saabs or one that gives a hoot,at least diagnose the exact problem.So far it has been if's and maybe's.Thanks everyone for their inputs.

Cheers,George

geosaabb
    Saab(s)
    Solved the problem......changed the rod and the crank bearings.......rod bearings were easy peasy....crank bearings took quite bit longer...I had to walk them out with a small screwdriver a little bit at a time. I started the car let idle to normal temp,took it for a test drive,as I accelerated, engine began to buck...turbo gauge went in the red...CEL began flashing..went to neutral to catch it and stop from stalling..settled down...tried again..same thing.Back to the garage...plugged into the OBD11 and found 1300 & 0300. I have a spare DIC [ bought second hand]. I swapped them out ...no change.Checked small hoses adjacent to the throttle body and electrical connections that I disconnected while doing my last sump drop. Me thinks I have a bad DIC...car has 225,000kms.Any suggestions?

Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    Since your in there may as well change all the vacuum hoses and check the check valves to see if they operate properly. (Also see if they are facing the correct direction.)
    I'd check the compression of all the cylinders. (I had a cracked piston.)
    DIC prices are pretty good lately. It can't hurt to get a new one. (Eeuro has a SAAB sale on now...)
    Good luck.
    finding41
    Marty Jackson
    www.northchannelcharters.com