Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    02 SAAB 95 2L Automatic

Service Theft Alarm

Getting this alert can clear it but recently the vehicle alarm starts going off at the slightest pressure. Even heavy rain sets it off.

What can be done? How do I service the theft alarm?

thanks

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2005 Saab 9-5
    The alarm system starts to go off randomly on these cars when its batteries start to die. It's gonna get progressively worse so don't put it off unless you want to risk invoking your neighbors' wrath. I believe you can send it off to BBA Reman or similar company for repair. Should be a cheap fix, 60$ or so. You can try doing it yourself if you have soldering skills but I wouldn't mess with it. Batteries are internal and were not designed to be easily replaced, so it's better to get it remanufactured.

Even cheaper fix, that I personally decided to go with, is to just disconnect that thing. Nobody is going to steal a Saab anyways )) Jack the driver's side up, remove front wheel, remove the plastic fenders. The alarm module will be right there, behind your blinker.
    Last edited by Voyageur; 30 August 2015 at 16:35.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2003 Burgandy Areo 9-5
    Great cheap fix. Mine is not supposed to have an alarm but It does have one. I still have it insured. Farmers Insurance supposedly will replace it with a better model. I really doubt it. Where are they going to find a 13 year old Areo with under 84K miles?

I p;an to take a look in that area and get familiar with the repair. Do you know what type battery it uses?

Thanks

Mr Fix-it

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2005 Saab 9-5
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Fix-it View Post
    Great cheap fix. Mine is not supposed to have an alarm but It does have one. I still have it insured. Farmers Insurance supposedly will replace it with a better model. I really doubt it. Where are they going to find a 13 year old Areo with under 84K miles?

I p;an to take a look in that area and get familiar with the repair. Do you know what type battery it uses?

Thanks

Mr Fix-it
    FixMySaab: Siren Battery Page

I highly recommend not to fvck with the module yourself. Either rip it out of the car for good (nobody is stealing a Saab anyway) or send it off to BBA Reman or similar module fixing company. They will fix it and give you a lifetime warranty on it.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Or even better, just buy a newer 9-5 (2005 and up) where they got rid of that alarm module entirely. I tried to replace the batteries in my 2004 but that didn't fix the problem. Best is to disable the alarm with Tech2 on older models.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    5 x SAAB 9-5 1998 - 2001

Service Theft Alarm

Quote Originally Posted by frisp View Post
    Getting this alert can clear it but recently the vehicle alarm starts going off at the slightest pressure. Even heavy rain sets it off.

What can be done? How do I service the theft alarm?

thanks
    I do hope that I am not too late with this suggestion! If you decide to do this yourself, you will need to know that the capacitors are a very important part of the repair process......read on....

There are complete kits available consisting of the correct batteries, along with the capacitors needed to do a proper job. If you are not easily scared off, then I would recommend you give it a go. I have included the link for eBay, Australian site. I am sure that you will be able to find them when searching on your end, the seller is located in the UK.

I have serviced all of the alarms on my current Saab's, the earlier one's (1998 to 1999 I think) had covers that were held together by screws, I was able to re-use the casings when servicing the alarms, fortunately for me . However, I have pulled apart the glued case/enclosures using a dremel with the appropriate attachments - it definitely makes for an easier job to get it apart.

The link provided by Voyageur is a good one, although I have found that using a "box cutter" or any other sharp flat blade under the batteries is a quicker and easier way to break the bond of the glue that they use under the batteries (I do them one at a time) - you would apply just enough force to have it pass through slowly to cut away that bond!

Saab 93 9 3 95 9 5 Twice Alarm Siren Battery Capacitor Repair KIT | eBay

Hope this helps!

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2004 Saab 9-3 Aero Convert

Short term solution

Is it true if one uses the key to lock doors, rather than the remote, the alarm system does not engage and alarm will not go off? Got Service Theft Alarm msg today with alarm sounding Will probably toss the module, however is physically locking with key a short term solution?

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    5 x SAAB 9-5 1998 - 2001

Service Theft Alarm

Quote Originally Posted by Polestar View Post
    Is it true if one uses the key to lock doors, rather than the remote, the alarm system does not engage and alarm will not go off? Got Service Theft Alarm msg today with alarm sounding Will probably toss the module, however is physically locking with key a short term solution?
    It does not make any difference whether you lock it with the key or remote. The alarm requires servicing - no matter what you do. The batteries within the alarm module have dropped below an acceptable voltage and will need to be replaced. If your up to getting it done yourself then read the earlier posts above. As you have not mentioned your year model, I could not say how easy it would be as the earlier model Saab alarm modules are held together with screws - this makes if far easier to repair if your handy with a soldering iron. I stated in my earlier post that the Capacitors would need replacing, however, I have since found that it is only likely if, after you have replaced the batteries and the alarm still sounds, that replacing the capacitors would be the possible solution. Getting the kit, if still available, would be a good approach. The alternative, purchase a second hand one, but you will suffer the same fate eventually.

If you want to stop the alarm sounding for good, then you must disconnect the alarm from the system. This will result in a constant message of, "Service Theft Alarm" on the SID on each start-up, which is easily cleared. You will need to remove the drivers side wheel (or passenger side wheel if in UK/Australia - Right Hand Drive) and undo the internal black plastic guard, the side that is closest to the front bumper - enough to enable you to reach up into the cavity - you can reach up to the module and disconnect the electrical connection.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2004 Saab 9-3 Aero Convert
    Thanks for the response. I'm likely going to disconnect the module rather than fix it. Mine is a 1999 9-5 SE. I understand that years module has six screws. allowing one to open without cutting to replace the batteries. Did not find repair kit.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2002 9-5 arc
    Can you replace with one from another car?? (Example) 02 saab 9-5 v6=replacement module
    03 saab 9-5 v6=recipient of 02 saab module