Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

Saab(s)
    1991 SAAB 900 turbo convertable

Taking out 91' 900 cabriolet after 8 years of storage

Hello everyone,
    I have had my 1991 saab 900 turbo, automatic spg convertable in my garage for over 8 years, and am finally taking it out. I went out for a couple laps in my driveway (with old oil, gas, etc.) and it ran fine until it started overheating. It didn't overheat very much (about 3 quarters of a way up on the temp gauge) but i put it away. So I need to know what i should do to get it back to running condition, and if anyone has this model of this year I REALLY need some guidance on the oil change, because I believe that there is a plate over the oil drain. Also wondering if it is imperative to change the oil filter, because I would not like to change it. This car only has 60,000 miles on it (96560 kilometers), virtually no rust, hoping I bring this legendary car back to life with some help from you guys, can wait to hear back, thanks guys!

Saab(s)
    '04 9-5 Aero Wagon, '90 900
    The overheat could be due to a few things. Sticking thermostat maybe. Did you check coolant level ?
    Regarding oil change, definitely do the filter as well. The skid plate underneath should not cover the oil drain plug; there's a hole for the trans drain plug in the skid plate.

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk

Saab(s)
    1979 900EMS, 1991 900S
    Hot running due to poor fuel octane level causing excessive combustion temps. Sea-foam!

Saab(s)
    2003 Saab 9-5 Aero 2.3t Wagon HO Manual
    A car that's been sitting for that long would need a good going over. Your coolant is worn out and may not be as effective, so that would be due for a drain, flush and refill. You may have watery gas, so I would dump in a bottle of gas dryer like Heet and fill with premium fuel. It would also be a good idea to replace your fuel filter. Your brake fluid would need to be flushed because it can collect moisture and rot your brake lines from the inside out. If you're overheating it could be a stuck thermostat or a defective coolant temp sensor not triggering the fan or worn out coolant. If you're radiator fan kicks on then it may be your thermostat. Your battery is probably not long for this world, since most batteries only last about 5 years., ( you can have your battery tested for free at Interstate company stores). They will look at the color of the fluid in your battery and can generally tell if you're due for a replacement. Replace the simple stuff like the air filter and definitely replace the oil filter when you replace the engine oil. Be sure you use the correct oil, (refer to your manual) and if you can't find the oil that the manufacturer recommends, order it online, don't just throw in any oil, I'm strick about using Pennzoil 5W-30 full synthetic in my car and I change it out very year, whether the mileage calls for it or not. Check your belt for cracking and dry rot and replace if necessary.
    2003 Saab 9-5 Aero B235R
    Sport Wagon 2.3T HO Manual
    140,627 Miles

Paul A
    Saab Nut
    Saab(s)
    T16 '93 Ruby - T16 '94 Vert Ruby
    Quote Originally Posted by mfoulds5 View Post
    Hello everyone,
    I have had my 1991 saab 900 turbo, automatic spg convertable in my garage for over 8 years, and am finally taking it out. I went out for a couple laps in my driveway (with old oil, gas, etc.) and it ran fine until it started overheating. It didn't overheat very much (about 3 quarters of a way up on the temp gauge) but i put it away. So I need to know what i should do to get it back to running condition, and if anyone has this model of this year I REALLY need some guidance on the oil change, because I believe that there is a plate over the oil drain. Also wondering if it is imperative to change the oil filter, because I would not like to change it. This car only has 60,000 miles on it (96560 kilometers), virtually no rust, hoping I bring this legendary car back to life with some help from you guys, can wait to hear back, thanks guys!
    3/4 of the way up the gauge is not overheating. Overheating is when the gauge is in the top red section. The correct engine stat for the 900 is 90°C, which when the engine is fully warmed up should take the gauge to approx 1/2 scale. If the car is not moving the temp will rise further until the rad fan kicks in, which is about 95°C, about 3/4 scale. The temp should gradually fall as the fan cools the rad and the fan will stop when the cycle will be repeated if the car is not moving and there is no airflow through the rad. If the temp does not fall, the fan may not be functioning or the pump or belts may be faulty or you may have a clogged or silted rad. In a car as old as our 900s it is quite common for the rad to be clogged if it is original and if the temp rises significantly to the top red section of the scale even when fan is running a new rad should be considered. The top red section of the scale indicates a coolant temperature of about 100°C, which in itself is not dangerous but is an indication there may be coolant system issues. The water in the system will not boil until 115°C, provided the reservoir pressure cap is functioning to maintain pressure up to 15psi.

You don't need to remove the pan to drain the oil. It is not imperative to change the oil, but it is a good idea. You can get to the drain boss at the side of the pan. If you change the oil, you really should replace the filter.
    Last edited by peva; 24 October 2015 at 09:42. Reason: Grammar and revisions.