Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2004 Saab 9-5 Arc Wagon

Help with Code P0116

Hey Fellas,

So the check engine popped up this morning (2004 Saab Arc 9-5 Wagon) went and had it checked at AA, and got the P0116 code - Engine coolant temporary censor 1 range performance.

I found a Engine Coolant Temp Sensor on eEuroparts for $8.24, but is there anything else needed? I read in one of the forums that I should also change the t-stat. Should I?

Also, I plan to do a coolant drain and fill, should I use a flushing chemical, or just the dexcool?

Does anyone have a write-up, or video for these things (2004 Saab Arc 9-5 Wagon)
    Coolant to sensor
    T-stat (if needed)
    Radiator drain plug.

Love my Saab!

Thank you, each one of you.

--Queen

Saab(s)
    01 95 Aero and Wagon, 09 93 Combi and an 08 95 Combi
    That code if usually the thermostat. Replacing it and the CTS is ok and not too hard. Just lookup changing the tstat on google. Saab 9 5 how to change the thermostat. You should not need to do a chemical clean. The drain plug turn 1/4 quarter turn and then pulls out. It is hard to reach. Most remove the lower rad hose to get to it. I run clean water thru the system till it runs clear then add 50/50 dex cool till I see it change color. Make sure the heater is on full while doing it with the motor running. Put the lower hose back on first.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2004 Saab 9-5 Arc Wagon
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brennan View Post
    That code if usually the thermostat. Replacing it and the CTS is ok and not too hard. Just lookup changing the tstat on google. Saab 9 5 how to change the thermostat. You should not need to do a chemical clean. The drain plug turn 1/4 quarter turn and then pulls out. It is hard to reach. Most remove the lower rad hose to get to it. I run clean water thru the system till it runs clear then add 50/50 dex cool till I see it change color. Make sure the heater is on full while doing it with the motor running. Put the lower hose back on first.
    Awesome. Thanks, Mike.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    I haven't seen a faulty thermostat throw an error code before. Usually when the thermostat needs to be replaced, the temp gauge drops to the bottom. And when the thermostat is replaced, it is common practice to replace the CTS as well. In your case, I would start with replacing the CTS and not worry about the thermostat if that fixes the problem. It wouldn't hurt to replace the thermostat, especially if it has never been done before as it will fail sooner or later.

This thread may help: http://saabworld.net/f29/saab-9-5-th...e-engine-1019/

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2004 Saab 9-5 Arc Wagon
    Hey Guys,

I know it's been a while, but I wanted to do a quick update. I replaced the coolant temperature sensor CTS. The check engine light (CEL) did not go off immediately so I connected and disconnected the negative battery cable, and that took care of the CEL. I attempted to remove the petcock from under the hood but it wouldn't budge, so I'll have to go underneath to do the drain and fill, at which time I plan to change the tstat-(maybe), but I did get a little bit of new coolant in there, since I had to remove the upper radiator hose to get to the CTS. Thanks again for all of your help. --Queen

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2004 Saab 9-5 Arc Wagon
    Hey Wulf, I changed the CTS but the engine light just returned throwing the same code. I bought a Tstat, and plan on changing it now your write-up. I will report back, hopefully, that takes care of things.