Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab(s)
    87 SPG

Durability of Aluminum Cylinder Heads

I was pulling a 2.1L head off a junked c900 today, but after removing the head bolts I started prying to break the gasket free and noticed that the head wouldn't come up towards the end closest to the firewall. I discovered the two bolts that hold it down on the bottom lip, and removed those...which finally led to me getting the head off.

Even though the front side of the head (towards the front of the car) came up partially without any effort, I'm concerned that by doing so I may have potentially caused damage to the end that was still screwed down. I never forced it, but am a bit paranoid about these things. Has anyone else made this mistake?

Saab(s)
    1985 900 Turbo EAG, 1990 SPG Talladega Red
    Does it look damaged? What is your mechanical intuition? Maybe post pictures and someone who knows more will chime in.

Paul A
    Saab Nut
    Saab(s)
    T16 '93 Ruby - T16 '94 Vert Ruby
    Chance of it damaging the head is very low. If anything is damaged it will be to the top of the timing chain cover which the bolts pass through. If it looks ok, it probably is.

Saab(s)
    87 SPG
    I had it checked for warpage at a machine shop and it's fine. I just pulled a head off of another 900S, and was much more careful this time. Those two bolts below the sprocket end are a pain to remove, even after doing it a few times.
    Last edited by ninehundredt; 16 October 2015 at 21:50.