Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

Saab(s)
    2004 93 convertable
    Thumbs Up:   0

Temperature more up than down

Can anybody make sense of this?
    2004 Saab 93 convertible is overheating. Fans are working fine. Replaced the thermostat with no improvement and have now actually removed the body of the thermostat and installed only the flange and seal. It doesn’t get cold here.
    When driving, the temp gauge sits on half for a bit then suddenly rise to about ¾ and stay up there. I parked the car with engine running and notice the following sequence of events.
    · Temp gauge falls to half
    · Fluid in expansion bottle half full
    · Temp gauge starts to rise
    · Fan goes to high speed, temp continues to rise, coolant goes a bit lower
    · Temp gauge now at ¾
    · Coolant slowly starts rising toward half
    · Expansion bottle suddenly fills. It doesn’t rise up, it is instantaneous. Fan slows down
    · Bottle remains full. Temp falls toward half
    · Expansion bottle slowly falls toward half full
    · Temp gauge falls to half
    · Repeat all the above.
    Temperature at the time was 36° C. but probably immaterial. Also probably unrelated the A/C stopped working some time back, still gassed.
    I live in a remote area and the local mechanic went pale and started scratching uncontrollably when I mentioned the word Saab to him. So any help greatly appreciated.

0 Not allowed!

Saab(s)
    2005 Saab 9-3 Aero
    It looks like your coolant mixture is not good. How old is your prestone and what you used?

0 Not allowed!

Saab(s)
    2004 93 convertable

Gas in coolant

Thanks for your response harrissonsaab.

I managed to get the car into the local workshop for a gas test. Unfortunately they detected gas in the expansion bottle. So will be removing the head and getting it checked out next time I go to the city. Car has done less than 100,000 km so hopefully its not too bad.

0 Not allowed!

Saab(s)
    2004 93 convertable
    The car has not been driven since last post and I have finally got around to working on this car with some interesting results.

I found that the balalacer shafts chain tensioner broken. The chain jumped off the coolant pump sprocket and hung down therefore disengaging from the crankshaft sprocket. So for a period the engine was running without the balancer shafts or water pump rotating, very short trips.

Unfortunately the crankshaft sprocket has been rubbing against the chain and the teeth are worn down. Presumably the chain will also be damaged, so I am planning on replacing the tensioner, chain and crankshaft sprocket.

"question removed"

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by zzchtac; 18 March 2016 at 05:01. Reason: on checking car realised question was not needed